23.691, Diss: Socioling/Spanish: Checa-Garcia: 'Syntactic Development ...'

Thu Feb 9 20:01:59 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-691. Thu Feb 09 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.691, Diss: Socioling/Spanish: Checa-Garcia: 'Syntactic Development ...'

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Feb-2012
From: Irene Checa-Garcia [irene.checa at gmail.com]
Subject: Syntactic Development Measures Applied to Adolescents in Almería: Descriptive milestones and methodological contributions

Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:00:26
From: Irene Checa-Garcia [irene.checa at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-691.html&submissionid=4540548&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Universidad de Almería
Program: Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2004

Author: Irene Checa-Garcia

Dissertation Title: Syntactic Development Measures Applied to Adolescents in
Almería: Descriptive milestones and methodological
contributions

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Dissertation Director(s):
Francisco Joaquín García Marcos

Dissertation Abstract:

Dissertation title in Spanish:
Medidas del desarrollo sintáctico en adolescentes almerienses: hitos
descriptivos y aportes metodológicos

In my dissertation I investigated the effects of several social factors
(such as course level, social class, sex, type of school and area of the
school) on various measures of syntactic development for adolescent native
written language, some of them commonly used in this kind of research,
other new ones that I designed. The results showed that social class
together with the course level had the strongest effects over most of the
syntactic indexes used, showing quite statistically significant results. In
addition, a study of regression showed that social class and are of the
school were contributing together in producing most of their effects. Other
relevant findings pertained to the methodology to be followed; in
particular, the results provide new reasons to use the rewriting method of
elicitation, and new indexes to reflect the importance of errors when
measuring syntactic development.