23.849, Disc: Social Media and Endangered Languages

Mon Feb 20 15:28:59 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-849. Mon Feb 20 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.849, Disc: Social Media and Endangered Languages

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 18-Feb-2012
From: Roger Blench [rogerblench at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: Social Media and Endangered Languages

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:28:16
From: Roger Blench [rogerblench at yahoo.co.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-849.html&submissionid=4541070&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

I see from the BBC website

that 'digital tools' [i.e. Facebook, Twitter etc.] are going to save
'Endangered Languages' according to 'scientists'. No scientists are
mentioned in the accompanying piece and the only languages referred
to are North American.

My question is whether there is any evidence at all that genuinely
endangered languages elsewhere in the world are likely be be even
affected by such digital tools? My experience is that the reverse is true,
that new media tend to promote dominant languages and scripts.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Sociolinguistics

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/