23.164, Qs: Subjects Needed: Late Bilingualism and Aging Study

Tue Jan 10 16:13:51 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-164. Tue Jan 10 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.164, Qs: Subjects Needed: Late Bilingualism and Aging Study

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Jan-2012
From: Merel Keijzer [M.C.J.Keijzer at uu.nl]

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:13:39
From: Merel Keijzer [M.C.J.Keijzer at uu.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-164.html&submissionid=4538525&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

For a four-year research project on the language reversion among
elderly Dutch migrants (a line of research very much started by Michael
Clyne and Kees de Bot) we are currently looking for native English-
speaking subjects to serve as a control group. Apart from investigating
first language reversion, this project also aims to examine whether late
bilinguals can attenuate some of the general cognitive decline that
often accompanies advanced age  (a continuation of Ellen Bialystok's
work, but this time focusing on late rather than early bilinguals). We are
happy to accept anyone between 35 and 100 years old, but are
especially recruiting elderly subjects (older than 60 and 75 years).

Should you know anyone (either professonally or personally) who
might be interested in this project, please contact the principal
investigator (Merel Keijzer) at M.C.J. Keijzer at uu.nl. Testing ideally
takes place at Monash University Clayton Campus, but can also be
done on location if that is more convenient. Each session lasts about
1.5 hours max and subjects are given 20 dollars for their time and
effort. A more elaborate description of the project can be found on the
following website: http://www.uu.nl/hum/staff/MKeijzer

Linguistic Field(s): Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Translation