23.242, Jobs: Mandarin; NLP: Assistant Research Fellow, Academia Sinica

Fri Jan 13 15:02:33 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-242. Fri Jan 13 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.242, Jobs: Mandarin; NLP: Assistant Research Fellow, Academia Sinica

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 12-Jan-2012
From: Hsin-Min Wang [peichi at iis.sinica.edu.tw]
Subject: Mandarin Chinese; Natural Language Processing: Assistant Research Fellow or Above, Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:00:51
From: Hsin-Min Wang [peichi at iis.sinica.edu.tw]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-242.html&submissionid=4538948&topicid=7&msgnumber=1
 University or Organization: Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica
Job Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Web Address: http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/
Job Rank: Assistant Research Fellow or Above

Specialty Areas: Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)

The Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, R.O.C. is
recruiting junior and senior research fellows (equivalent to the rank from
assistant professors, associate professors, to full professors) on the areas
of natural language processing (NLP), in particular, Chinese language
processing. All candidates for the position should have a Ph.D. degree in
computer science with specialties in NLP, machine learning or semantic
processing and with a good research background as well as publication
record.

Academia Sinica is the highest national academic research institution in
Taiwan. Led by Dr. Chi-Huey Wong, Academia Sinica conducts research
on a broad spectrum of subjects in science and humanities. The Institute
of Information Science (IIS) is committed to high quality basic research in
computer and information science and engineering. We have a strong
track record of Chinese NLP, and are considered by many to be a major
base for research on traditional Chinese. In addition to research funding
supported by Academia Sinica, external funding through government
agencies and industry-sponsored institutions is also available.

Full-time research fellows in the Institute have no teaching obligations,
and are free to pursue their own research directions. The areas of our
current research include Algorithms and Computation Theory, Parallel
Computing, Language and Knowledge Processing, Computer Vision and
Multimedia Technologies, Bioinformatics, Ubiquitous Computing,
Operating Systems and Networking, and other Internet related research.
We will also launch a major collaborative research project on Web
intelligence and social network.

Salary is based on individual qualifications. Additional salary support from
the Advancement of Outstanding Scholarship is available for applicants
with exceptional qualifications. Senior candidates must demonstrate
strong leadership, and have an international reputation evidenced by
publications, patents, industrial practical experience, or other academic
and scholarly achievements.

All candidates should send detailed curriculum vitae, copies of selected
publications, a doctoral degree certificate or a letter indicating completion
of the relevant degree, and at least two letters of recommendation to:

Fluency in Chinese would be an advantage. For additional information,
please see http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw.

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr. Hsin-Min Wang, Deputy Director
	Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica
	128 Academia Road, Section 2
	Nankang 115
	Taipei, Taiwan
Email Address for Applications: whm at iis.sinica.edu.tw