23.3127, FYI: Georgetown University Press to Publish Al-cArabiyya Journal

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 19 19:32:00 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3127. Thu Jul 19 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3127, FYI: Georgetown University Press to Publish Al-cArabiyya Journal

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 15:31:36
From: Jacqueline Beilhart [jb594 at georgetown.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3127.html&submissionid=4550121&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

WASHINGTON D.C. — Georgetown University Press is delighted to
assume the publication of Al-cArabiyya, the annual, peer-reviewed
journal of the American Association of Teachers of Arabic (AATA).
Volumes 44 and 45 (2011-2012), a joint issue edited by Dr. Reem
Bassiouney of Georgetown University, will be the first issue, and it will
be available in December 2012. Al-cArabiyya is the only scholarly
journal with a focus on Arabic language, linguistics, literature, and
pedagogy.

''We are thrilled to work with the AATA to produce the leading journal
for teaching Arabic language,'' says Hope LeGro, Director of
Georgetown Languages at GU Press. ''GU Press is committed to
serving the field of Arabic language learning, as we have been for
nearly fifty years. This journal partnership is a natural evolution of our
shared mission with AATA.'' The press publishes the Al-Kitaab Arabic
Language Program, as well as Arabic dictionaries and other Arabic
textbooks.

This year, the AATA celebrates fifty years of serving the scholars of
Arabic around the world. Dr. Elizabeth M. Bergman, Executive Director
of AATA, praises the new relationship saying, ''The AATA has
demonstrated its commitment to scholarship on Arabic language,
literature, and pedagogy through publication of Al-cArabiyya and
through other activities for nearly fifty years. Our partnership with
Georgetown University Press is a fitting commemoration of these years
of service. It is also a wonderful way to more forward, and serve the
growing number of those who study and teach Arabic language and
literature.''

Georgetown Languages at Georgetown University Press is a
collaboration of language experts and publishing professionals to
produce high quality language learning resource materials in traditional
and new learning media. Working with the academic community to
develop foreign language learning materials grounded in superior
scholarship and experienced pedagogy, we publish in critical as well as
commonly taught languages in print and electronic formats, primarily for
college, high school, and adult learners.

Georgetown University Press supports the academic mission of
Georgetown University by publishing scholarly books and journals for a
diverse, worldwide readership. These publications, written by an
international group of authors representing a broad range of
intellectual perspectives, focus on five subjects: bioethics; international
affairs; languages; political science, public policy, & public
management; and religion & ethics.

Contact:

Jacqueline Beilhart, Publicist,
(202) 687-9298,