23.3146, Jobs: English; Applied Ling; Computer Assisted Language Learning: Associate Prof, Otaru Uni of Commerce

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 23 14:19:28 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3146. Mon Jul 23 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3146, Jobs: English; Applied Ling; Computer Assisted Language Learning: Associate Prof, Otaru Uni of Commerce

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Svetlana Tchistiakova <svetlana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:14:40
From:  Personnel Unit [jinji at office.otaru-uc.ac.jp]
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics; Computer Assisted Language Learning: Associate Professor, Otaru University of Commerce, Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3146.html&submissionid=4550344&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Otaru University of Commerce
Job Location: Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan
Web Address: http://www.otaru-uc.ac.jp/info/koubo/post-13.html
Job Rank: Associate Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Computer Assisted Language Learning

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      Japanese (jpn)

The Otaru University of Commerce in Hokkaido, Japan is hiring a
full-time tenured Associate Professor for the Department of Applied
Linguistics in the Center for Language Studies.

Field:
Specializing in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL), e-Learning, or
closely-related fields.

Job Description:
1. Administration of e-Learning systems including Moodle, our in-house Test
of English for International Communication (TOEIC) training program, and
others.
2. Development, editing, recording and proofreading of e-Learning contents.
3. Research, development, operation and improvement of e-Learning
systems.
4. Operation and improvement of e-Learning classes.
5. Faculty support for developing blended education course.
6. Teaching general English classes.

Qualifications:
1. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in hand, preferably in CALL, e-Learning,
computer science, or a closely related field. They should otherwise have
equivalent qualifications.
2. Applicants should have a clear understanding of English proficiency tests
such as TOEIC and TOEFL.
3. Sufficient command of Japanese to pursue administration duties, such as
producing documents, participating in faculty meetings, and coordinating the
teaching practicum.
4. Teaching experience in college preferable.
5. Applicants should be actively engaged in research.
6. A demonstrated commitment to professional and program development.

Teaching Responsibilities:
The appointee will be expected to teach English classes in the undergraduate
program as well as e-learning/CALL courses in our undergraduate English
teacher training program and on our graduate program.

Period of Appointment:
The successful applicant will be required to take up duties on April 1, 2013.

Application Materials:
1. One Curriculum Vitae in Japanese.  Additionally, applicants may submit an
English CV.
2. Copies of undergraduate and graduate school degree certificates and
official transcripts.
3. A  list of papers and publications.
4. A copy of the candidate's three most important research publications and
their summaries. 5. Summaries should be written in Japanese for English
papers and in English for Japanese papers respectively on one side of an A4
sheet of paper.
6. A CD or DVD-ROM with the candidate's three most important research
publications and their summaries as indicated in "(4)" in PDF or MS WORD
Format.

After document screening, one or two candidates will be invited to have an
interview and to demonstrate their teaching ability in a mock class.

In preparing the Japanese CV and list of papers and publications, please use
the prescribed, downloadable form (available from our Website URL listed
below).

Please write (in red) "Application for English Department (Associate Professor
of CALL Education)" on the envelope in which you send your materials.  Send
the documents by recorded delivery or by registered mail to the address
listed below.

Additional contact details:
Tel: (81) 134-27-5208; Fax: (81) 134-27-5213
E-mail: jinji at office.otaru-uc.ac.jp
(Priority given to fax or e-mail for inquiries)

Please note that an applicant may be requested to submit an essay
concerning English education, a letter of recommendation, his or her medical
certificate, and other additional documents as we proceed in our selection
process.

Salary and Benefits:
The successful candidate will be paid in line with the pay scale of Otaru
University of Commerce with pension and insurance benefits equal to those
afforded all members of the faculty.

Application Deadline: 28-Sep-2012
Mailing Address for Applications:
	President Makio Yamamoto, Personnel Unit
	Otaru University of Commerce
	3-5-21 Midori
	Otaru, Hokkaido 047-8501
	Japan