23.3157, Calls: Historical Linguistics/Australia

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 23 15:31:11 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3157. Mon Jul 23 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3157, Calls: Historical Linguistics/Australia

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:30:23
From: Daniel Frost [drbfrost at anu.edu.au]
Subject: Continuity and Change: Grammars of the Pacific

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3157.html&submissionid=4550343&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Continuity and Change: Grammars of the Pacific

Date: 27-Oct-2012 - 28-Oct-2012
Location: Canberra, A.C.T., Australia
Contact Person: Rachel Hendery
Meeting Email: rachel.hendery at anu.edu.au

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2012

Meeting Description:

An understanding of grammatical change in language provides a window to understanding broader issues relating to language and society, including the linguistic outcomes of social and cultural interaction, the areal distribution of linguistic structures and the social and cognitive motivations of linguistic change. Much of the previous research on grammatical change in the Pacific tends to focus on specific changes within particular regions and/or language groups. This has resulted in careful analyses of grammatical change that have greatly expanded our understanding of the history of Pacific languages. This workshop is a unique opportunity to focus on this research from a new perspective: to begin to compare findings from individual studies and discover what these Pacific case studies contribute to general theories of grammatical change. That is, are there common trends or striking patterns of divergence in grammatical change across the Pacific that warrant explanation? And how does broadening the empirical basis of our understanding of grammatical change to incorporate Pacific case studies alter our general view of it?

Plenary Speakers:

Associate Professor Frank Lichtenberk (University of Auckland)
Professor Jeff Siegel (University of New England)

Call for Papers:

We would like to invite papers on all topics relating to grammatical change in the Pacific. These can include case studies of individual languages, reconstructions, comparative studies of smaller regions or language groups, or broader typological studies. Studies of mixed languages or new Englishes are also welcome.

We hope that speakers will also participate in two round-table discussions, one on each day of the workshop. One discussion will focus on the question of what the most pressing issues and research priorities relating to this topic are in the various Pacific regions and language families. The other discussion session will focus on trans-regional themes relating to grammatical change. This session will also include a discussion about a proposed database of grammatical change in the Pacific. This database is still in the initial planning stages, and we will appreciate participants' feedback on what sorts of features and focus would be most of use to them.

We hope to publish a collection of papers from this workshop, probably as a special journal issue.

Abstracts:

Please send abstracts for a 20 minute paper (with 10 minutes of discussion) to rachel.hendery at anu.edu.au by 31 August 2012. We will send out notifications of acceptance by mid-September. Abstracts should be no longer than one A4 page, including references.

There will be no registration charge for the workshop.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/