23.3166, Qs: Quotative Phrase as an Adverbial Adjunct?

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 23 17:54:11 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3166. Mon Jul 23 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3166, Qs: Quotative Phrase as an Adverbial Adjunct?

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Zac Smith <zac at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:54:02
From: David Oshima [davidyo at gmail.com]
Subject: Quotative Phrase as an Adverbial Adjunct?

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3166.html&submissionid=4550183&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am wondering if (anybody ever has shown or suggested that) in any
language other than Japanese, the quotative phrase has a status as
an adverbial adjunct, rather than a direct object-like complement.

In Japanese linguistics, there has been some discussion as to the
syntactic status of the quotative phrase in a direct/indirect reported
speech construction, more specifically whether a phrase marked by
(the so-called quotative particle) _to_ (exemplified in ex1 and ex2) is
more like a (direct) object (e.g., Okutsu 1974, Teramura 1982) or an
adverbial adjunct (e.g., Shibatani 1978, Sunakawa 1988).

1.  Hiroshi wa ''Watashi no sei da'' to itta.
    Hiroshi Top (I Gen responsibility be.Prs) Quot say.Pst
    ''Hiroshi said: ''I'm responsible.'''

2. Hiroshi wa  [watashi no sei da] to itta.
   Hiroshi Top [I Gen responsibility be.Prs] Quot say.Pst
   ''Hiroshi said that I was responsible.''

One reason to treat a to-marked quotative phrase as an adverbial is
that it can co-occur with a direct object denoting the content of the
reported speech. (Reasoning: If the quotative phrase can co-occur with
a direct object, it cannot have a status like a direct object.)

3. Hiroshi wa ''Watashi ga yarimashita'' to tsumi o kokuhaku-shita.
   Hiroshi Top (I Nom do.Polite.Pst) Quot sin Acc confess.Pst
   'Hiroshi confessed his sin, saying: ''I did it''.'

4. Hiroshi wa ''Watshi ga yarimasu'' to jikkoo o yakusoku-shita.
   Hiroshi Top (I Nom do.Polite.Prs) Quot action Acc confess.Pst
   'Hiroshi promised his action, saying: ''I will do it''.'

It is possible, on the other hand, to account for by postulating that
sentences like ex3 and ex4 involve ellipsis of a quotative predicate _iu_
(Sano and Oshima 2012).

3'. Hiroshi wa ''Watashi ga yarimashita'' to (itte) tsumi o kokuhaku-shita.
    Hiroshi Top (I Nom do.Polite.Pst) Quot say.Gerund sin Acc
confess.Pst
   'Hiroshi confessed his sin, saying: ''I did it''.'

My question is: (i) is a construction like ex3 or ex4 found in other
languages?, and (ii) more generally, is there any language in which
one can reasonably suspect that the quotative phrase is realized as an
adverbial adjunct?