23.2667, Software: 175,000 references for typology: Glottolog/Langdoc

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 10 14:37:04 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-2667. Sun Jun 10 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.2667, Software: 175,000 references for typology: Glottolog/Langdoc

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Justin Petro <justin at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:36:26
From: Sebastian Nordhoff [sebastian_nordhoff at eva.mpg.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-2667.html&submissionid=4547903&topicid=13&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

It is my pleasure to announce the release of Glottolog/Langdoc.
Glottolog/Langdoc is a knowledge base of 94k languoids (dialects,
languages, families) interlinked with 175k references of mostly
descriptive nature. References are annotated for type (grammar,
dictionary, text, etc) and languages covered. You can browse
languoids, browse references, formulate complex queries, and draw
stratified samples. All references can be downloaded with Zotero or as
bibtex.

Queries can take into account a variety of parameters. For instance,
one can search for 'any grammar or grammar sketch of a Semitic
language spoken in Africa published before 1998  where the author is
'Ali'

Search languages:
http://www.glottolog.org/glottolog/

Example:
http://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/turk1304.xhtml

Search references:
http://www.glottolog.org/langdoc/

Example:

http://www.glottolog.org/langdoc/bibliographicalquery?
Author=sapir&Year=&After=&Before=1910&Title=&Editor=&Journal=&A
ddress=&Publisher=&Limit=50

Combined search:
http://www.glottolog.org/langdoc/complexquery

Example:
- Choose 'Afro-Asiatic', 'Africa', 'Grammar' and enter 'Ali' in the author
field. Click 'get references'.
    * The following references will be included in the page
    * http://www.glottolog.org/resource/displaycollection?
Lects=24745&Types=grammar&Area=africa&Author=ali&Limit=50
- Remove 'Ali' and try 'dual' in the 'contains' field
    * http://www.glottolog.org/resource/displaycollection?
Lects=24745&Types=grammar&Area=africa&Contains=dual&Limit=50

Draw sample (takes some time, please do not try to draw very large
samples)
http://www.glottolog.org/langdoc/drawsample

Example:
http://www.glottolog.org/resource/displaysample?
size=20&classification=Glottolog+2012¯oarea=North+America¯oarea=A
frica¯oarea=Eurasia¯oarea=South+America¯oarea=Australia¯oarea=P
acific&includeunclearinlg=1&after=1800

Glottolog/Langdoc is part of the Linguistic Linked Open Data Cloud.
For information about the Semantic Web aspects of Glottolog/Langdoc,
see this page:

http://glottolog.org/meta/downloads

For a list of resources combined in Glottolog/Langdoc, see the credits
page

Glottolog/Langdoc is far from complete and will be continuously
updated. If you have a bibliography for a particular area of the world
sitting in your drawer, we are happy to receive it and add it to the
knowledge base.

We are also happy about error reports, which will be treated in a timely
manner.

Feedback is welcome.

Best wishes,

Sebastian Nordhoff (+Harald Hammarström, +Martin Haspelmath)

Linguistic Field(s): Genetic Classification
                     Historical Linguistics
                     Typology

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/