23.2767, FYI: Benjamins Series on Iberian Romance Linguistics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 19 15:24:37 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-2767. Tue Jun 19 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.2767, FYI: Benjamins Series on Iberian Romance Linguistics

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:24:32
From: Paul Peranteau [paul at benjamins.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-2767.html&submissionid=4548443&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

John Benjamins Publishing is pleased to announce a new book series:

Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics

Editor: Jason Rothman University of Florida & University of Ottawa

ISSN 2213-3887

Romance linguists are by definition not only aligned with their
theoretical paradigm (e.g. usage-based sociolinguists to generative
grammarians), but rather there is a sense of a larger community to
which all Romance linguists belong by virtue of the languages studied.
Spanish and Portuguese are two of the top ten most widely spoken
languages in the world. They are by far the largest two in the Romance
family of languages in terms of number of speakers. It is fair to say that
there is a strong sub-community of Romance linguists also aligned by
virtue of their research foci on Spanish and Portuguese. Beyond
providing high quality work applicable to the linguistic sciences in
general, the aforementioned community of Hispanic and Lusophone
linguists is precisely the audience to which we believe this book series
will appeal to the most.

The aim of this book series is to provide a single home for the highest
quality monographs and edited volumes pertaining to Hispanic and
Lusophone linguistics. In an effort to be as inclusive as possible, the
series hopes to include volumes that represent the many sub-fields and
paradigms of linguistics that do high quality research targeting Iberian
Romance languages. We seek projects pertaining to all dialects in the
world where these languages (co-)exist (e.g. Europe, South and North
America, Africa) as well as projects on the acquisition of these
languages anywhere Spanish and Portuguese are acquired in
childhood or adulthood.

Because our goal is to consider manuscripts from all relevant linguistic
approaches, the common thread across the books within this series will
be the languages themselves. Although we anticipate that the majority
of the books will focus on Spanish and Portuguese, for obvious
reasons, we would like to encourage book proposals that engage other
Iberian-Romance languages in Europe (e.g., Galician, Catalan,
Aragonese, etc.) and/or examine Spanish and Portuguese in their co-
existence with other non-Romance languages in Europe (e.g. Basque),
indigenous languages in Latin America, English in North America, and
other national and regional languages across the Hispanic and
Lusophone world. Projects that engage several of these languages
together are especially welcome. We will consider proposals that focus
on formal syntax, semantics, morphology, phonetics/phonology,
pragmatics from any established research paradigm, as well as
psycholinguistics, language acquisition, historical linguistics, applied
linguistics and sociolinguistics. The editorial board is comprised of
experts in all of the aforementioned fields.

Editorial Board
Sonia Colina, University of Arizona
João Costa, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Inês Duarte, Universidade de Lisboa
María del Pilar García Mayo, Universidad del País Vasco
Anna Gavarró, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Kimberly L. Geeslin, Indiana University
Sónia Frota, Universidade de Lisboa
Michael Iverson, Macquarie University
Juana M. Liceras, University of Ottawa
John M. Lipski, Pennsylvania State University
Gillian Lord, University of Florida
Jairo Nunes, Universidade de São Paulo
Acrisio Pires, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Pilar Prieto, Universitat Pampeu Fabra
Liliana Sánchez, Rutgers University
Ana Lúcia Santos, Universidade de Lisboa
Carmen Silva-Corvalán, University of Southern California
Juan Uriagereka, University of Maryland
Elena Valenzuela, University of Ottawa