23.2889, Calls: English, Historical Linguistics/Poland

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jun 30 15:11:24 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-2889. Sat Jun 30 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.2889, Calls: English, Historical Linguistics/Poland

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:10:54
From: Anna Antkowiak [aantkowiak at ifa.amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 11th Medieval English Studies Symposium

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-2889.html&submissionid=4549043&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 11th Medieval English Studies Symposium
Short Title: MESS11

Date: 17-Nov-2012 - 18-Nov-2012
Location: Poznań, Poland
Contact Person: Anna Antkowiak
Meeting Email: mess at ifa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~mess/MESS2012/index.html

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 15-Jul-2012

Meeting Description:

The School of English at Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland, is pleased to announce the 11th Medieval English Studies Symposium.

The Symposium has continuously served as a platform for discussion to researchers interested in various aspects of the history of the English language. It hosts sessions devoted to the history of the English language in what is broadly understood as the Middle Ages, dealing with a variety of linguistic sub-fields encouraging formal, functional or sociolinguistic perspectives.

There are two plenary lectures planned. Our guest plenary speakers this year include Prof. Andeas H. Jucker from Univeraität Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland, speaking on 'Politeness and impoliteness in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' and Prof. Piotr Gąsiorowski from Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland, who  will talk about 'The secret life of the lexicon: Middle English words with no etymology'.

The organisers intend a number of sessions for individual presenters.

The working language of the conference is English.

Contact Details:

Email: mess at ifa.amu.edu.pl
Our snail mail is:
MESS 2012
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University
Al. Niepodleglosci 4
61-874 Poznań
Poland
Ph.+48 618293506
Fax+48 618523103

Organizing Committee:

Honorary Chair: Prof. Jacek Fisiak
Chair: Prof. Marcin Krygier

Members:

Ms. Anna Antkowiak, M.A.

Conference Secretaries:

Ms. Joanna Kaczmarek-Górzyńska, M.A.
Ms. Agnieszka Bury-Galubińska, M.A.

Final Call for Papers:

This year we especially encourage contributions centred around the theme of 'Standardisation', however, papers devoted to other diachronic topics are also most welcome.

Papers:

We encourage submissions pertaining to all areas of historical linguistic research within the broadly understood medieval English period. Abstracts of max. 500 words in the .odt, .txt or .doc (Word for Windows) format should be submitted by 15 July 2012 electronically via EasyAbbs http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/mess2012 or from our website at http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~mess/MESS2012/abstracts.html.

Unfortunately, we may host only a limited number of section papers, thus abstracts will be reviewed and selected by the organising committee. Authors will be notified of acceptance by 1 September 2012.

30 min slots (20 min paper + 10 min discussion) will be available for each speaker. The conference venue will be equipped with a laptop and OHP for your convenience. If you would like to use a handout please send it to us in advance, so that we can provide a number of copies for the participants.

Participants without papers are also cordially welcome.

For more information, go to http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~mess/MESS2012/index.html or contact us at mess at ifa.amu.edu.pl.

Important Dates:

Abstract submissions (deadline extended): 15 July 2012
Notification of acceptance: by 1 September 2012
Registration: open now