23.4564, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Cognitive Science/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 1 15:14:58 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4564. Thu Nov 01 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4564, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Cognitive Science/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 11:14:23
From: Roshawnda Derrick [al6167 at wayne.edu]
Subject: Beyond the Mind's Eye: Histories, Realities, Imagination

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4564.html&submissionid=4555952&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Beyond the Mind's Eye: Histories, Realities, Imagination

Date: 06-Apr-2013 - 06-Apr-2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan, USA
Contact Person: Michael Anderson
Meeting Email: co1394 at wayne.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 04-Jan-2013

Meeting Description:

>From Freudian psychoanalysis to Deleuze and Guattari's schizoanalysis, from Greek and Roman tragedy to neuroimaging, one of the driving preoccupations of science and art has been the relationship between the exterior world and the inner reaches of the human mind. When delving beyond the realm of the material into the (un)conscious, what is at stake? What is the difference between vision and perception? How does the perception of personal realities shape our awareness of social, political and cultural histories? Do we imagine our own reality and what we hold to be true? What role does language play in the articulation of our realities? In what ways is history merely a concept of our minds and not a globally accepted truth? Can imagination serve as a scaffold that links our histories and realities?

Call for Papers:

This is a conference for graduate students. We are looking for abstract submissions for 20 minute presentations related to the following topics:

--the un/conscious--trauma--mourning--melancholy--the spectral/hauntings--political/postcolonial unconscious--politics, memory--madness, revolution--dystopian selves--frontiers of the human--language, grammar, discourse--decay, decadence--the imaginary, imagination--guilt, responsibility, society--collective memory--the gendered self, constructions of gender and ethnicity--surrealism, reality, hyper reality--mind & body--constructions of identity--film and new media--visual arts--dreams, myths--multiple selves

Submission Criteria:

1. Abstracts and papers must be in English.
2. Abstracts must not exceed 200 words.
3. Abstracts must include the following information: name of presenter, academic affiliation, mailing address, email address, title of paper.
4. Presentation time limit 20 minutes (8 page maximum).
5. Abstracts are due by Friday, January 4, 2013.

For further information, contact Michael Anderson (co1394 at wayne.edu) or Julie Koehler (jljkoehler at wayne.edu).

Abstracts should be submitted to: http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/gsc11.