23.4595, Qs: Surnames of Italian Homesteaders in Western Canada

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 3 12:18:39 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4595. Sat Nov 03 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4595, Qs: Surnames of Italian Homesteaders in Western Canada

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 08:18:29
From: Mary  C Marino [mary.marino at usask.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4595.html&submissionid=4557058&topicid=8&msgnumber=1
 Dear Colleagues,

I am an MA student in History at the University of Saskatchewan; the topic of my thesis has to do with Italian homesteaders in the region of Old Wives Lake in southern Saskatchewan, Canada in the early decades of the 20th century. Census and homestead records indicate that many of these settlers were either born in Italy, or claimed to be of Italian origins, or both. Those who did not directly declare their birth country or origins to be Italian nevertheless have surnames that suggest such birth or origin.  Among these is a list of surnames which none of the sources available to me could identify with any certainty. They are the following: Bisaro, Cabela, Cafferata, Clarno, Desero, Flolo, Rogoza, Scraba, Sleno, Verlo, Vogeli. Any assistance that you could provide in identifying the linguistic and/or geographical origins of these names would be deeply appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Stephanie Bellissimo

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Italian (ita)

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/