23.4668, FYI: Teaching Grammar in Schools

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 7 18:13:31 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4668. Wed Nov 07 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4668, FYI: Teaching Grammar in Schools

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:13:20
From: Richard Hudson [dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk]
Subject: Teaching Grammar in Schools

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4668.html&submissionid=4557535&topicid=6&msgnumber=1
 LL subscribers may like to know about a website created by Dick Hudson and Geoff Dean, to bring together positive material about teaching grammar - why, how and what. It's primarily aimed at school teachers in the UK, but it also includes the global context (with articles on grammar-teaching in a number of countries).

It contains things written by teachers (e.g. Geoff Barton, Dan Clayton), teacher-supporters (e.g. Debra Myhill, Sue Palmer) and academics (e.g. Rod Ellis, Ron Carter, David Crystal), and it includes information about the history of grammar teaching and about grammar teaching in other countries. It also covers Foreign Languages as well as English, but unfortunately this area is badly underrepresented at present, so we welcome suggestions or offers for further additions.

There's also a 'Discussion' section where you can share your views and experience.

The website is at http://teach-grammar.com. We hope you like it.