23.4871, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Belgium

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 23 15:12:15 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4871. Fri Nov 23 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4871, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Belgium

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:11:40
From: Ann Aerts [ann.aerts at ua.ac.be]
Subject: Language Testing in Europe: Time for a New Framework?

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4871.html&submissionid=4688173&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Language Testing in Europe: Time for a New Framework?

Date: 27-May-2013 - 29-May-2013
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact Person: Ann Aerts
Meeting Email: LT-CEFR2013 at ua.ac.be
Web Site: http://www.ua.ac.be/lt-cefr2013

Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2013

Meeting Description:

We hereby extend a cordial invitation to attend our Second International Conference on Language Testing. This conference will bring together practitioners, policy makers and researchers in order to discuss the following issues related to the use of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) in language testing.

Competence and Performance:

What is the link between ‘can do’ performance statements and areas of linguistic knowledge? To what extent can or should the levels be made more explicit in terms of required vocabulary and grammar?

Degree of Difficulty of the Levels:

How can we make sure that our tests are measuring at the CEFR levels we claim they are? What evidence do we have to support our claims?

Test Purpose:

Why are we testing? What kind of decisions will be made on the basis of information collected via the test? What will be the consequences of these decisions?

Practicality:

How do we link our tests to the CEFR? How practical, applicable and operational is the CEFR for concrete language testing situations?

Call for Papers:

You are invited to submit a proposal for a practice-related paper, a research paper, a poster session or a symposium. The scientific committee will designate three submissions as ‘Selected Plenaries’.

Practice-related Paper:

Practice-related papers provide the opportunity for practitioners to present work related to language testing and the CEFR, along with a critical discussion of its impact. Each speaker will have about 20 minutes of presentation time, followed by 10 minutes of discussion.

Research Paper:

Paper sessions are oral research presentations, followed by a discussion with the audience. Each speaker will have about 20 minutes of presentation time, followed by 10 minutes of discussion.

Poster:

Interactive poster sessions visually present research studies. A short oral presentation of about 5 minutes for each poster is given to an audience gathered as a group. After the authors’ brief presentation, an in-depth discussion between them and the audience follows. Each presenter has 5 minutes to introduce his/her research topic to the colleagues of the same group. Afterwards each poster can be discussed individually. The poster display boards are 140 cm high by 97 cm wide.

Symposium:

Symposia examine a single topic in depth from multiple perspectives, providing a coherent set of research or pratice-related papers for discussion. Symposia sessions consist of three or four presentations. The time allowed for each paper, including the presentation and discussion, is 20-30 minutes.

Please visit our website for more information regarding submission, calendar, venue and programme.