23.4125, Confs: Archi, Language Documentation, Linguistic Theories, Morphology, Syntax, Typology/UK

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 4 14:44:48 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4125. Thu Oct 04 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4125, Confs: Archi, Language Documentation, Linguistic Theories, Morphology, Syntax, Typology/UK

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:43:36
From: Marina Chumakina [m.tchoumakina at surrey.ac.uk]
Subject: Workshop on Agreement in Archi (Daghestanian)

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4125.html&submissionid=4554811&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Workshop on Agreement in Archi (Daghestanian)

Date: 01-Nov-2012 - 02-Nov-2012
Location: Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom
Contact: Marina Chumakina
Contact Email: m.tchoumakina at surrey.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation; Linguistic Theories; Morphology; Syntax; Typology

Subject Language(s): Archi (aqc)

Meeting Description:

A research project 'From competing theories to fieldwork: the challenge of an extreme agreement system' has been running in the Surrey Morphology Group, University of Surrey, since January 2012.

The aim of the project is to create a framework for comparing and evaluating the claims of leading theories of syntax (HPSG, LFG and Minimalism) by focusing on one core area of syntax, namely agreement. Specifically, we shall use data from the Daghestanian language Archi, which has an outstandingly rich and complex agreement system, for analyses in each of the leading theories.

The project is structured around a cycle of working seminars. The contributors are the typology/fieldwork team (SMG), giving an account of the Archi material, and the three syntax experts, who provide an analysis of the Archi constructions within their theory: HPSG account is provided by Robert Borsley (Essex), LFG account by Louisa Sadler (Essex) and minimalism account by Maria Polinsky (Harvard).

We have had three seminars and one field trip where we gathered the Archi materials following requests from our syntax consultants. The seminar and fieldwork materials can be viewed here:

http://fahs-wiki.soh.surrey.ac.uk/groups/fromcompetingtheoriestofieldworkarchi/

On November 1-2 we will be organising a two-day seminar at the University of Surrey. At this seminar, in addition to the syntactic accounts of a particular Archi agreement problem (that of a syntax-morphology interface, see the attached file), we will be discussing the results of the fieldwork.

The seminar is open to everyone and free. If you would like to participate, please let us know by October 26 by emailing to Marina Chumakina:

m.tchoumakina at surrey.ac.uk

Please let us know if you intend to attend both days or just one (and which one) - we will need this to order lunch.

November 1-2
University of Surrey, Guildford campus
Room: tba

November 1

12:00 - 13:00
Lunch

13:00 - 13:45
LFG account of the syntax-morphology interface problem
Louisa Sadler

13:45 - 14:30
HPSG account of the syntax-morphology interface problem
Robert Borsley

14:30 - 15:00
Coffee

15:00 - 15:45
Minimalist account of the syntax-morphology interface problem
Maria Polinsky

15:45 - 16:30
Differences of the accounts discussion led by Dunstan Brown

16.30 - 17:00
Fieldwork report
Marina Chumakina

November 2

9:30 - 10:00
Coffee

10:00 - 10:45
Agreeing adposition in Archi
Dunstan Brown and Marina Chumakina

10:45 - 11:15
Coffee

11:15 - 12:00
Person in Archi, Greville G. Corbett

12:00 - 12:45
Fieldwork results most interesting for LFG- presentation by Marina Chumakina, discussion* led by Louisa Sadler

12:45 - 13:45
Lunch

13:45 - 14:30
Fieldwork results most interesting for HPSG-presentation by Marina Chumakina, discussion led by Robert Borsley

14:30 - 15:15
Fieldwork results most interesting for minimalism-presentation by Marina Chumakina, discussion led by Maria Polinsky

15:15 - 15:45
Coffee

15:45 - 17:00
Next problem: The issue of conditions on agreement
Marina Chumakina

Discussion can be on fieldwork results or on any other points which arise before (adpositions, person etc).

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/