23.4369, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, McGill University, Canada

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 18 15:33:18 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4369. Thu Oct 18 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4369, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, McGill University, Canada

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:33:12
From: Michael Wagner [chael at mcgill.ca]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4369.html&submissionid=4555995&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: McGill University
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics

Level: PhD

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Experimental Linguistics

The McGill Graduate Program in Linguistics has recently undergone significant
restructuring and expansion. We are sending this message to let people know
about these changes and to invite applications for the academic year 2013-2014.

Our Ph.D. program has changed significantly. The new Experimental Stream offers
a two-course sequence in Experimental Linguistics ('Foundations' and 'Methods'),
focusing on experimental, statistical, and computational methods. There are
further new offerings in the areas of expertise of our recent hires: Meghan Clayards
(Phonetics and Psycholinguistics), Morgan Sonderegger (Computational
Phonology and Phonetics), and Michael Wagner (Prosody and Language
Processing). These additions complement existing strengths in L2 Acquisition of
Syntax (Lydia White), L1 and L2 Acquisition  of Phonology (Heather Goad),
Neurolinguistics (Yosef Grodzinsky) and Sociolinguistics (Charles Boberg). The
experimental stream allows our students to focus on empirical studies while also
acquiring a solid grounding in linguistic theory. The department has excellent
resources for conducting empirical research: two experimental labs, a field
methods lab, and soon also a computational lab, equipped with state-of-the-art
equipment, including eye trackers, sound-attenuated booths, and high-performance
computers. We are affiliated with many other experimental facilities through the
Centre for Research on Brain, Language, and Music (crblm.org), and also have
close ties to the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders and the
Department of Psychology.

At the same time we have also extended our offerings in syntax and semantics.
Luis Alonso-Ovalle has joined Brendan Gillon and Bernhard Schwarz to strengthen
our program in the areas of Formal Semantics and Pragmatics. Jessica Coon has
joined Junko Shimoyama and Lisa Travis to extend our syntax offerings, and has
also reinvigorated the department's long tradition in teaching Field Methods and
conducting Field Work, which has already resulted in a collaborative language
revitalization project with a local community (see migmaq.org for more
information).

The 5-year PhD program in Linguistics offers a competitive funding package and
allows for applications straight from a B.A. or after an M.A. Applicants are
admitted to the program rather than to work with a specific supervisor. This gives
students considerable flexibility in developing their own research agenda. The
program offers a tight curriculum of core courses in the first year, and a lighter load
with more in-depth courses in the second year. Students write and defend two
evaluation papers before embarking on their dissertation research, as is common
in other North American Ph.D. programs.

The stand-alone M.A. program is intended for students who wish to pursue further
studies in Linguistics before deciding whether or not to continue on to a Ph.D.
program. We also offer a Qualifying Year program for students transitioning into
Linguistics from other fields.

More information about research and teaching in the department is available on our
website (http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics/graduate). Our website also provides
information on living in Montréal, where McGill University is located, a
cosmopolitan, bilingual, and affordable city. Instruction at McGill is in English.

Note that we have a comparatively early deadline: December 15th.

We'd be excited to see your applications this fall!

The Department of Linguistics, McGill University

Application Deadline: 15-Dec-2012

Web Address for Applications: http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics/graduate

Contact Information:
	Heather Goad