23.4371, Support: Phonetics: PhD Student, University of Zurich, Switzerland

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 18 15:58:18 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4371. Thu Oct 18 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4371, Support: Phonetics: PhD Student, University of Zurich, Switzerland

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:58:08
From: Volker Dellwo [volker.dellwo at uzh.ch]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4371.html&submissionid=4555991&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: University of Zurich
Department: Phonetics Laboratory/ General Linguistics
Web Address: http://www.pholab.uzh.ch

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Phonetics
speech sciences

1 PhD Position in Phonetics/Speech Sciences at Zurich University (3 years,
100%)

For a three year research project funded by the Swiss National Science
Foundation and entitled 'Between conversation and primordial sounds: Studies of
the musicalized speech of the Composed Theatre using musical analytic and
phonetic methods'. This is a co-project between the Bern University of Arts and
the Phonetics Laboratory at Zurich University. The present post will be placed at
the Phonetics Laboratory, another (non-phonetic) PhD position will be at the Bern
University of Arts.

The project aims at studying the characteristics and functions of speech in
Composed Theatre. We will use acoustic analytic methods and perceptual tests to
identify segmental and prosodic features that are characteristics for the Composed
Theatre and we will test their effects on the audience using perception
experiments.

The Phonetics Lab is run by a team of enthusiastic academics with interests in a
variety of areas in phonetics and speech sciences. We work closely together with
researchers from the departments of General Linguistics, German, Romance and
English language as well as Psychology and Audiology.

Requirements:
- Master (e.g. MA, MSc, MRes, etc.) in Phonetics, Speech Sciences, Linguistics,
Information Technology or related area.

You should have an interest (or already experience) in areas like:
- Use of speech in theatre and music performances (in particular 'composed
theatre')
- Acoustic Analysis of Speech
- Speech Signal Processing
- Speech Perception
- Statistics

Payment for the position will be between 41.400 and 47.400 CHF/year (depending
on year).

Your application should consist of the following items:
- CV (including publications, if available)
- List of grades
- Name and email addresses of two potential referees

Important dates:
- Open until filled
- Starting date of position: 1. December 2012 (or asap thereafter)

Electronic application submission (in pdf format), further information and/or
informal chats about the posts:

Volker Dellwo volker.dellwo at uzh.ch http://www.pholab.uzh.ch/leute/dellwo.html

Application Deadline: 18-Mar-2013

Web Address for Applications: http://www.pholab.uzh.ch