23.4431, Jobs: Brazilian Portuguese; Comp Ling; Phonetics: Consultant, Toshiba Cambridge Research Labs

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 24 14:17:30 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4431. Wed Oct 24 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4431, Jobs: Brazilian Portuguese; Comp Ling; Phonetics: Consultant, Toshiba Cambridge Research Labs

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:16:54
From: Art Blokland [art.blokland at crl.toshiba.co.uk]
Subject: Brazilian Portuguese; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Consultant, Toshiba Cambridge Research Labs, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4431.html&submissionid=4556369&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Toshiba Cambridge Research Labs
Department: Speech Technology Group
Job Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.toshiba.eu/eu/Cambridge-Research-Laboratory/
Job Rank: Consultant

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology

Required Language(s): Portuguese (por)

Toshiba Research in Cambridge, England are looking for an experienced
Brazilian Portuguese linguist/phonetician to help develop a TTS (text-to-speech)
voice in this language. This is a short-term position for two months full-time, or
four months half-time. The starting date is as soon as possible. The person will
be based in our offices in Cambridge.

The work involves different tasks: maintenance of our pronunciation lexicon;
development of a rule-set of post-lexical effects; development of text
normalisation rules (how to pronounce dates and numbers, etc); collecting
abbreviations; drawing up a list of parts-of-speech; making data for testing our
software; and others.

The successful candidate will have a good knowledge of phonetic, phonological
and grammatical processes in Brazilian Portuguese. Preference will be given to
a native Brazilian speaker. The candidate must be computer-literate, and those
with linux experience will be preferred. Candidates must have the right to work in
the European Union.

Toshiba Research is based in the Science Park in Cambridge, England, in
pleasant surroundings. We have close links with the University of Cambridge,
and enjoy a stimulating intellectual environment.

We offer a salary of £16/hour. Please submit your resume/CV by email.

Application Deadline: 16-Nov-2012 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: art.blokland at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Contact Information:
	Dr Art Blokland
	Email: art.blokland at crl.toshiba.co.uk