23.4498, Confs: General Linguistics/Portugal

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 29 14:40:21 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4498. Mon Oct 29 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4498, Confs: General Linguistics/Portugal

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:39:25
From: Nathalie Gontier [nlgontier at fc.ul.pt]
Subject: 1st International Winter School on Evolution, Module on Language Evolution

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4498.html&submissionid=4556649&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

1st International Winter School on Evolution, Module on Language Evolution

Date: 11-Mar-2013 - 15-Mar-2013
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact: Nathalie Gontier
Contact Email: nlgontier at fc.ul.pt
Meeting URL: http://evolutionschool.fc.ul.pt

1st Call for Students: 1st International Winter School on Evolution
Module on language evolution

March 11th - 15th, 2013 | Ciência Viva Knowledge Pavilion, Lisbon, Portugal

Website:

http://evolutionschool.fc.ul.pt

We are happy to inform you that registration is now open for the 1st International Winter School on Evolution. Courses are open to international Master, PhD and Post-doctoral students in the exact, life, human and sociocultural evolutionary sciences.

About the Courses:

>From Monday to Friday, parallel sessions are organized whereby visiting staff provide a 10-hour course (2 hours a day) on critical aspects of biological and sociocultural evolution. The courses are centered around the following modules:

Module 1: Macroevoluton and the Major Evolutionary Transitions
Courses are taught by Bruce Lieberman, Folmer Bokma, Eörs Szathmáry.

Module 2: Language Evolution
Courses are taught by William Croft, Mónica Tamariz, Daniel Dor.

Module 3: Symbiogenesis, Lateral Gene Transfer and Virolution
Courses are taught by Douglas Zook, William Martin, Michael Arnold.

All courses are taught at a level accessible to Master, PhD and post-doctoral students in the exact, life, human and sociocultural evolutionary sciences. Students of evolutionary biology, microbiology, paleontology, evolutionary linguistics, evolutionary anthropology, and philosophy of biology will especially benefit from these courses.

Students will be provided a mandatory reading list which will form the basis of lectures and discussions. There are neither examinations nor paper assignments.

Registration Fee:

350 euro for the whole week, regardless the number of courses you choose.

How to Enroll:

You can enroll for a specific module (therefore following a 30-hour course on the subject) or you may choose three courses of your specific interest.

Places are limited, we therefore advise you to enroll as quickly as possible.

About the Winter School:

The School is organized by the Applied Evolutionary Epistemology Lab of the Centre for Philosophy of Science of the Faculty of Science of the University of Lisbon, in collaboration with Ciência Viva and with the support of the John Templeton Foundation.

Download Our Poster:

http://evolutionschool.fc.ul.pt/winter/docs/winter.pdf

Subscribe to the Winter School Mailinglist:

http://eepurl.com/n2ELH

Further Information:

http://evolutionschool.fc.ul.pt

http://appeel.fc.ul.pt