23.4524, Calls: Language Acquisition/Poland

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 30 16:20:55 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-4524. Tue Oct 30 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.4524, Calls: Language Acquisition/Poland

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:19:45
From: Andrzej Łyda [andrzej.lyda at us.edu.pl]
Subject: 25th International Conference on Foreign/Second Language Acquisition

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-4524.html&submissionid=4556835&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 25th International Conference on Foreign/Second Language Acquisition
Short Title: 25th ICFSLA 2013

Date: 23-May-2013 - 25-May-2013
Location: Szczyrk, Poland
Contact Person: Adam Wojtaszek
Meeting Email: szczyrkconference2012 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://uranos.cto.us.edu.pl/~icfsla/index.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2013

Meeting Description:

The Institute of English at the University of Silesia is pleased to announce the 25th International Conference on Foreign and Second Language Acquisition. Traditionally, this conference focuses on research in second language acquisition and foreign language learning, concentrating each year on different aspects of the research field. The leading theme of the 2013 conference is:

Qualitative Approach in Researching Second/Foreign Language Acquisition

We are pleased to announce that the following scholars have expressed their agreement to present plenary papers at our conference:

Prof. Maria Dakowska (University of Warsaw)
Prof. Philipp Mayring (University of Klagenfurt)
Prof. Aneta Pavlenko (Temple University, Philadelphia)
Prof. Alison Phipps (University of Glasgow)
Prof. David Singleton (Trinity College, Dublin)

It is also our pleasure to communicate that the following members of the Research Network of International Association of Multilingualism have expressed the agreement to present their research during the ReN Event:

Prof. Larissa Aronin (Oranim Academic College of Education, Israel)
Prof. Jean-Marc Dewaele (Birkbeck College, University of London)
Prof. Danuta Gabrys-Barker (University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland)
Prof. Britta Hufeisen (Technische Universitat Darmstadt)
Prof. Ulrike Jessner (University of Innsbruck)
Prof. Pilar Safont Jorda (University Jaume I, Castello, Spain)
Prof. Eva Vetter (University of Vienna)

Call for Papers:

In the coming 25th ICSFA gathering we would like to bring together scholars whose work in the field is marked by the use of qualitative methods of data collection and analysis. Thus we would like to invite you to submit proposals for theoretical, empirical and methodological papers involving the use of qualitative methods and data such as narratives, introspection and retrospection, autobiographical memory data and learner diaries in studying second language acquisition. We would like to challenge the dominance of quantitative research paradigm and demonstrate how qualitative methods can inform research in language learning, a trend which is becoming more and more visible in worldwide research. We will also accept a few papers for a miscellaneous session, allowing other scholars to present their work, beyond qualitative methodology, of a more applied nature.

As the feedback to last year's Ph. D. workshop was very positive, the coming conference will also offer this opportunity for new Ph.D. candidates to present their research projects and discuss them with Prof. Aneta Pavlenko (Temple University), Prof. Danuta Gabryś-Barker (University of Silesia), and other invited scholars in an workshop open to all. All Ph. D. students interested in participating in this event are asked to send a 500 word description of their thesis proposal, which will then be presented by them (20 minutes) and discussed with the facilitators and other fellow students during the workshop. Prof. Aneta Pavlenko will also offer a workshop on preparing articles and book proposals for international publishers.

As many of our regular Szczyrk conference participants research multilingualism and work within multilingual educational settings, we would like to propose the theme of multilingualism for an event that will occur during this conference. It is organized under the auspices of the International Association of Multilingualism (IAM) and specifically, its Research Network (ReN): 'Multilingualism. Acquisition and Use' which brings together prominent scholars in the field, whose presentations will constitute the core of this event. However, we would also like to invite young scholars whose research work concentrates on multilingual acquisition and education to participate.

Proposals for papers reporting on research related to the conference theme, or presenting more theoretical considerations regarding the issue, are welcome. We will also accept selected proposals in other areas of SLA research in addition to the leading theme. All those wishing to contribute papers or just to attend presentations and workshops are welcome to participate in the conference.

The registration form is available at: http://uranos.cto.us.edu.pl/~icfsla/index.htm (Word 2003 format).

Paper abstracts should be sent before 31 January 2013 to our email address: szczyrkconference2012 at gmail.com (don't worry about the year 2012 in the address, it is still active, we wanted to keep it the same as previously). The registration form, including the paper abstract, should be sent as an attachment to an email. Additionally, to facilitate the procedure of building the conference database, all participants are kindly asked to type their entry details into an Excel document (baza2013.xls), filling in all the columns in the second row below the blue headings, and send it back as a separate attachment, changing its name to SurnameName.xls (in Excel 2003 format). Both documents necessary for registration can be downloaded from our webpage at http://uranos.cto.us.edu.pl/~icfsla/index.htm.