23.3653, Jobs: English; Applied Ling: Assessment Manager, Open English

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 1 23:31:00 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3653. Sat Sep 01 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3653, Jobs: English; Applied Ling: Assessment Manager, Open English

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:30:14
From: Nicole Wilson [nicole.wilson at openenglish.com]
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics: Assessment Manager, Open English, Florida, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3653.html&submissionid=4552721&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Open English
Department: Academics
Job Location: Florida, USA
Web Address: http://www.openenglish.com
Job Rank: Assessment Manager

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Academics division of Open English is seeking a bright and
motivated assessment manager. This is a full-time permanent
position in our Miami office. In this role, you will work with a team of
sharp, motivated people on ambitious projects aimed at creating the
most effective way to learn English out there. You will lead efforts to
create and validate effective language proficiency assessments that
allow us to reliably measure student progress, and to continuously
improve our pedagogical practices and learning outcomes.

We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, a fast-paced
work environment, and excellent opportunities for career
advancement.

Responsibilities:
-  Organize and lead the full cycle of development for English
language proficiency and placement tests
-  Write test and item specifications
-  Recruit, train, and supervise item writers, reviewers, and other
support staff
-  Design and carry out validity, reliability, and benchmarking studies
-  Plan and oversee large data collections with international
participants
-  Analyze data, author technical documentation, and present
research findings
-  Improve assessments based on study results
-  Make recommendations for improvements to curriculum based on
assessment results
-  Resolve student feedback around test item fairness, content, and
clarity

Requirements:
-  Masters degree in applied linguistics, cognitive or quantitative
psychology, educational measurement, applied statistics, or related
field. Ph.D. or Ed.D. a plus
-  At least 3 years experience in assessment including writing and
validating test items, planning and managing data collection
-  Strong statistical knowledge
-  Tech literate; adept with SPSS, SAS, or comparable program
-  Strong written and spoken communication and presentation skills
-  Bilingual English/Spanish or bilingual English/Portuguese a plus

Application Instructions:
Please submit a cover letter describing how your education and
experience make you a strong fit for this position, a CV/Resume
including the names and contact information for 3 references, and
one writing sample (unpublished chapter from thesis is ok). Send
these 3 documents as .pdf attachments (that contain your first and
last name in the file names) to Dr. Nicole Wilson, Academic Director
at the application email address below. Applications will be reviewed
on a rolling basis until the position is filled.  Original job post date:
9/1/12.

Company Description:
Open English is the leading online school for English learners in
Latin America with a revolutionary new approach to English
language learning. We are a rapidly growing company, positioned as
the leader in the $50 billion English learning industry. Our mission is
to break through the traditional barriers of learning and help students
around the world learn English. We do this by offering each student
unlimited live English classes over the internet with native speaking
teachers, multimedia engaging lessons, and a personal study
advisor dedicated to their success.

Email Address for Applications: nicole.wilson at openenglish.com
Contact Information:
	Dr. Nicole Wilson