23.3665, FYI: Call for Papers for Book Chapters on Ain't

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 4 13:45:21 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3665. Tue Sep 04 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3665, FYI: Call for Papers for Book Chapters on Ain't

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:45:04
From: Patricia Donaher [donaher at missouriwestern.edu]
Subject: Call for Papers for Book Chapters on Ain't

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3665.html&submissionid=4552764&topicid=6&msgnumber=1
 Call for Book Chapters on Ain't

Updated CFP:

We've received some good chapter ideas, and we would like to receive some more. The deadline is approaching, so if you have an idea, please send it on (even if not fully fleshed out). We are still seeking individuals with expertise in the areas of folk and perceptual linguistics, rural and regional Englishes (like Southern American English or Appalachian English), urban-core Englishes (like Black English Vernacular and blue-collar community speakers), British Isles and London dialects (Cockney or Estuary English, for example), and possibly from post-colonial areas, like India.

Full CFP:

We are looking for articles for a possible collection of essays on the unassuming, yet much-assuming word ain't. We have had some good feedback towards publication of such a book and would like to continue rapidly into the next phase.

Studies could include pieces in the areas of corpus linguistics, historical overviews, literary analyses, folk linguistics, dialect or regional usages, popular culture, and language attitudes. Any angle on the word is of interest to us. Possible topics include but are not limited to the following:

- Arguments for and against the acceptability of ain't in spoken and/or written usage;
- Attitudes towards ain't in academic literature, the works of language pundits, the popular press, literary works, style and usage guides, and classroom textbooks;
- The use of ain't in the works of specific authors, periods, and regions;
- Ain't in fixed expressions and clichés;
- Ain't in popular media like cartoons, music, television, online, social media, etc;
- Ain't as a marker of social class, culture, or group identity;
- Ain't as it is used within a region or across regions (larger or smaller geographical areas in North America, the UK, Australia, etc);
- The status of ain't in a particular form of English, whether Standard American English, Black English Vernaculars, British English (Received Pronunciation), as well as in any of the World Englishes;
- Ain't in the usage of non-native speakers of English or as discussed in L2 acquisition;
- Studies based on specific written or spoken corpuses of English.

Articles could be long or short, depending on the topic. Most final essays will be between 6500 and 8000 words, including citations; however, we recognize that topics could be quite large or quite small, depending on the focus. Therefore, there will be latitude for items that are akin to ''notes,'' in addition to articles that may be longer than 8000 words.

Please send proposals or completed papers accompanied by abstracts via email attachment to BOTH editors (MSWord or RTF) by November 1, 2012. Please include a separate, current curriculum vitae and your full contact information including your office and cell phone numbers and preferred e-mail address.

For more information, feel free to contact us by phone or email.

Patricia Donaher, Ph.D.
Area Chair, PCA Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics
Assoc. Professor of English and Graduate Faculty
Department of English
Missouri Western State University
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507
816-271-5964
donaher at missouriwestern.edu

Seth Katz, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of English and in the Graduate School
Department of English
Bradley University
1501 W. Bradley Avenue
Peoria, IL  61625