23.3901, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/Serbia

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 19 14:50:59 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3901. Wed Sep 19 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3901, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/Serbia

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:50:28
From: Nadezda Stojkovic [Nadezda.Stojkovic at elfak.ni.ac.rs]
Subject: 1st International Conference on Teaching English for Specific Puproses

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3901.html&submissionid=4553683&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 1st International Conference on Teaching English for Specific Puproses

Date: 17-May-2013 - 19-May-2013
Location: Nis, Serbia
Contact Person: Nadezda Stojkovic
Meeting Email: esp at elfak.rs
Web Site: http://esp.elfak.rs

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2012

Meeting Description:

1st International Conference on Teaching English Language for Specific Purposes
17-19 May 2013

Organised and hosted by the Faculty of Electronic Engineering, University of Niš, Serbia, under the auspices of the University of Niš, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia

The purpose of this Conference is to bring together practitioners of English for Specific Purposes and the related areas so as to present and exchange their teaching experiences, practices, ideas, with the hope for it to become a referential meeting point. The emphasis will be on presenting one's work and teaching experience, meeting colleagues, making connections, bonding.

Call for Papers:

We invite paper proposals from all aspects of ESP and general linguistics that relate to ESP. Papers can be theoretical, presentations of case studies, of individual teaching practice and experience, of research into this field. They will be published in an electronic form, as an ISBN edition, by the Faculty of Electronic Engineering, University of Niš, prior to the conference. A selection of refereed papers will be published as an ISBN book proceedings collection of papers by an outstanding publisher after the conference.

Topic may include, but are not limited to:

- Business English
- English for Medical Purposes
- English for Civil Engineering
- English for Mechanical Engineering
- Legal English
- English for Economy
- English for Information and Communication Technologies
- English for Architecture
- English for Art
- English for Social Sciences
- English for Aviation
- English for Sport
- English for Management

The Conference will have plenary presentations by outstanding practitioners in the field of ESP. Those will be followed by separate groups of sessions, each dedicated to one area of ESP. Each group will be introduced and chaired by a colleague with prominent experience in the field.

Apart from sessions typical for most conferences, there will be organised round tables for participants working in the same area. It is there that we as organisers want to put most strong emphasis. There we invite you to a free flow conversation with colleagues working in the same or similar area for the purpose of connecting and sharing. We expect you to introduce yourself with details of where and how long you work, your educational and professional background, and then to say something about your actual work, how you design the courses you teach, what material you use, how you evaluate you students, etc. We welcome you to bring along the material that you use, including the books you wrote, papers you published, and the like, and disseminate information on what that material contains, who it is intended for, where it can be obtained from. It is our firm belief that an unhindered exchange of ideas and accomplishments is deeply humanistic and enhancing of the quality of our teaching. This will thus be an opportunity for making firm and more profound contacts among practitioners.

Of special relevance, as we believe, is to make a connection among primary schools, high schools and faculties in the same field. We find that connection missing in Serbia, yet of extreme importance. There is currently no consensus that there needs to be a continuity and upgrading of the content taught in primary schools to a certain extent, high schools of vocational orientation and faculties that offer study programmes in the same field. This conference will therefore invite colleagues from primary and high schools to take an active part in presenting their experience and discussing it with colleagues working in higher education. One aspect of the conference will be to establish this connection and to help nourish it so as to build a firm and steady basis for better quality ESP teaching throughout Serbia. We also believe that this aspect will be of interest for practitioners from abroad, especially neighbouring or ex-Yugoslavia countries.

Having many colleagues as guests, we will do our best to make your stay pleasant and memorable. Therefore, we will present you our town in all its beauty and hospitality.

We invite abstract proposals for paper presentations, reports on teaching experiences and practices, and workshops. Individual time allotted for paper presentations will be 20 minutes with 10 minutes for discussion, whereas the designated time for workshops will be 45 minutes. Abstracts should be up to 300 words long for paper presentations and 500 for workshops, submitted by 15 December 2012. The notification of acceptance will be sent by 15 January 2013. Full length papers are to be sent by 15 March 2013. Conference fee is 100 euros, to be paid until 15 March 2013.

All proposals need to be submitted in MS Word or Adobe PDF format to the email address:

esp at elfak.rs

The Conference website http://esp.elfak.rs will regularly be updated with news on the Conference. You will, however, receive all alerts via email, too. Questions should be sent to esp at elfak.rs and will gladly be answered and assisted by the Conference organisers.