23.3977, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonetics: Senior Phonetician, Speech Graphics Ltd.

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 25 16:45:06 UTC 2012

LINGUIST List: Vol-23-3977. Tue Sep 25 2012. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 23.3977, Jobs: Comp Ling; Phonetics: Senior Phonetician, Speech Graphics Ltd.

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:43:25
From: Michael Berger [berger at speech-graphics.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Senior Phonetician, Speech Graphics Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=23-3977.html&submissionid=4554189&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Speech Graphics Ltd
Job Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.speech-graphics.com
Job Rank: Senior Phonetician

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics

Speech Graphics has developed the first high-fidelity lip-sync solution driven
by audio. Based on two decades of research and development in articulatory
dynamics, facial modeling, speech recognition and computer graphics, our
award-winning technology is helping us to become the leading lip sync
provider for next-gen games, as well as for language instruction, speech
therapy, and a spectrum of developing applications. We are a highly
interdisciplinary team that seeks talented, driven individuals from various
fields. We offer an exciting startup environment where individuals can have a
major impact on the direction of the company and have a share in its
success.

Job Description:
You will work directly with the CTO to operate our audio-driven speech
animation services and contribute to our research and development projects.
Service operations will involve the following tasks:
-  Learn our models, systems, procedures and principles
-  Use in-house software and procedures to set up client facial models for
speech, generate speech animation, perform quality control on acoustic
analyses, and fine-tune articulation patterns
-  Work directly with clients, and manage client assets from start to delivery
-  Manage quality-control staff and perform final quality control pass
-  Meet service deadlines and estimate delivery for multiple projects running
in parallel
-  Maintain service records and write reports

Research and development tasks may include the following:
-  Research in diverse areas such as phonetics, acoustic analysis, visual
speech, speech recognition and facial modeling
-  Work on dictionaries and phonological and morphological rule sets in
multiple languages and dialects
-  Propose development projects to improve animation quality and throughput

Key Requirements:
Much of your responsibilities will revolve around maximizing quality for large
amounts of animated speech, which will require a keen eye, in-depth
knowledge of articulatory processes, and a thorough understanding of our
models. The ideal candidate will meet the following criteria:
-  A post-graduate degree in linguistics or related field, preferably with
concentration in phonetics/phonology
-  Theoretical understanding of coarticulation and related phenomena
-  Proficiency in acoustic analysis using Praat
-  Keen ear and eye for phonetic nuances and attention to detail
-  Extremely high standards, pride in work, self-motivation, and creative
thinking
-  Willingness to put in extra effort and hours when needed as befits a young
startup environment and service business with tight deadlines

Other Preferred Skills:
-  Background in computational linguistics and/or speech technology
-  Programming skills
-  Team leadership and/or management experience
-  Practical and/or theoretical knowledge of multiple languages

Email Address for Applications: berger at speech-graphics.com
Contact Information:
	Michael Berger
	Email: berger at speech-graphics.com