24.1507, Calls: Translation/UK

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 3 16:52:23 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1507. Wed Apr 03 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1507, Calls: Translation/UK

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 12:51:39
From: Stefan Baumgarten [s.baumgarten at bangor.ac.uk]
Subject: 'Did anyone say Power?': Rethinking Domination and Hegemony in Translation

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1507.html&submissionid=10438496&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 'Did anyone say Power?': Rethinking Domination and Hegemony in Translation

Date: 05-Sep-2013 - 06-Sep-2013
Location: Bangor Gwynedd, Wales, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Stefan Baumgarten
Meeting Email: s.baumgarten at bangor.ac.uk
Web Site: http://power.bangor.ac.uk/

Linguistic Field(s): Translation

Call Deadline: 30-Apr-2013

Meeting Description:

‘Did anyone say Power?’: Rethinking Domination and Hegemony in Translation

Location:

Bangor University, Wales, UK, Thursday 5 and Friday 6 September 2013

Confirmed Keynote Speakers:

Professor Christina Schäffner (Aston University, Birmingham, UK)
Dr Karen Bennett (University of Lisbon Centre for English Studies (ULICES), Portugal)
Professor Luc van Doorslaer (University of Leuven, Centre for Translation Studies (CETRA), Belgium)
Professor José Lambert (University of Leuven, Centre for Translation Studies (CETRA), Belgium)

Rationale:

Translation Studies has come of age, evidenced by proclamations of a series of intellectual ‘turns’, most prominently a ‘cultural turn’ in the 1990s followed by a ‘sociological turn’ in the last decade. Whilst also a ‘power turn’ and an ‘ideological’ turn have been suggested, there is a lack of self-awareness and self-reflection on our own entanglement within contemporary power structures, which are largely driven by financial, economic and technological globalisation. This interdisciplinary conference aims to critically interrogate central concepts such as ‘ideology’ and ‘power’ from self-reflexive, theoretical and practical perspectives. In view of Jean Baudrillard’s suggestion that any theory of power, in order to be ethically credible, must distinguish between relations of dominance and hegemony, we hope to bring together researchers, PhD-students, translators, writers and activists from varying backgrounds to engage in a discussion about the impact of power on the theory and practice of translation as well as on our own critical reflections.

Publication:

Following the conference, we will embark on a two-stage publication project. The first publication constitutes an edited book volume on the theme of Translation, Power and Globalization. The second publication constitutes a special issue on the theme of Translation, Domination and Hegemony and will be published with Target - International Journal of Translation Studies.

Final Call for Papers:

Apart from paper proposals, we are open to suggestions for a range of discussion formats such as poster presentations or audio-recorded roundtables. We are particularly interested in reflections on the ideological effects of technological change on translation theory and practice, whether in the present or future. Paper proposals focusing on any topic within the following two broad theoretical and practical themes will be welcome:

Theories of Power and Ideology:

- Ideology, Power and the different ‘Turns’ in Translation Studies
- Power and Ideology from different disciplinary Perspectives
- Ideology and Power in relation to History, Theory, Practice and Technology

Discourse in Translation:

- Critical Theory and Philosophy
- Capitalist Hegemony
- Political Ideologies
- Subversive and Underground Ideologies

Please send a 250-word abstract and a mini-biography (50-100 words) by Tuesday 30 April 2013 to Dr Stefan Baumgarten (s.baumgarten at bangor.ac.uk). Notification of acceptance of proposals will be communicated by Monday 20 May 2013. For general enquiries about the conference and potential discussion formats please contact Dr Yan Ying (y.ying at bangor.ac.uk) or Dr Jordi Cornellà-Detrell (j.cornella at bangor.ac.uk). There might be opportunities for some fee waivers for postgraduate presenters. We will not be able, however, to cover any accommodation or travel costs.