24.1596, Qs: Communication of the Deaf through Text Messages

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 8 16:03:47 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1596. Mon Apr 08 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1596, Qs: Communication of the Deaf through Text Messages

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:03:43
From: Helena Ruzenska [helcarose at centrum.cz]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1596.html&submissionid=10573060&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear linguists,

I am a student in sign linguistics at Charles University in Prague (the Czech
Republic). I am researching the communication of the deaf through text
messages (SMS). I would like to ask you if you can share any literature or
research available in the area of communication of the deaf through SMS (on
written form of spoken language), concerning distinctive features of a
language and stylistic text structure, e.g. abbreviations such as '4U, btw´,
etc, emoticons, using majuscule/minuscule, punctuation...) and specifics of
language competence of the deaf in writing. So far I have been only able to
trace articles and research that are focused on sociology aspect, e.g. to what
extend and for what purposes deaf people use the communication through SMS –
see research by M. Power, F. Bakken, J. Knuckey, Y. Okuyama etc.) which is,
unfortunately, not relevant for my work.

I would be greateful for any help and information you could provide me with.

Please return answers to my e-mail (see above - Submitter e-mail in Query
Details)

Thank you very much for your help. A summary of all responses will be posted
once the collection of data has been completed.

I am looking forward to your replies.

Best Regards,
Helena Ruzenska

Language Family(ies): Sign Language