24.1684, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 15 16:09:53 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1684. Mon Apr 15 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1684, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Germany

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:09:30
From: Till Meister [till.meister at uni-bielefeld.de]
Subject: Exploring the Periphery

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1684.html&submissionid=10842457&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Exploring the Periphery

Date: 08-Nov-2013 - 09-Nov-2013
Location: Bielefeld, NRW, Germany
Contact Person: Sarina Schnatwinkel
Meeting Email: periphery.conference at yahoo.de

Call Deadline: 15-Jun-2013

Meeting Description:

Exploring the Periphery
Perspectives from Applied Linguistics, Language Teaching, Literary and Cultural Studies
November 8-9, 2013 (Bielefeld University, Germany)

This interdisciplinary conference aims at exploring and challenging the concept of periphery from various angles and in different fields of British and American Studies. As the ‘writing back’ paradigm of Postcolonial Studies illustrates, the concept of periphery still implies the existence of a center that generates and sustains binary oppositions and hierarchical structures. As we experience global migration and transnational mobility, we need to renegotiate the concept of periphery in order to make sense of the newly emergent dichotomies in linguistic, language teaching, cultural and literary spheres.

Call for Papers:

Our conference focuses on the analysis of current aspects and dimensions of center-periphery relations, enabling postgraduate students to present their research projects and receive qualified feedback. We encourage doctoral students to send proposals for a 20 minute presentation in English. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

- Research of creoles; hybrid languages; postcolonial varieties and dialects of English
- New or neglected literatures, literary forms or topics, motives and styles
- Alternative approaches and methods to foreign language learning and teaching

Please send title, abstract (approximately 300 words) and a short bio to the organizers by June 15, 2013.