24.1726, Calls: Sociolinguistics, Historical Linguistics, General Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 18 14:24:16 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1726. Thu Apr 18 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1726, Calls: Sociolinguistics, Historical Linguistics, General Linguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:23:16
From: Greg Przybyla [gjprzyby at buffalo.edu]
Subject: ‘Minding the Gap: On Bridges, Breaches, and Borders’

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1726.html&submissionid=10977238&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: ‘Minding the Gap: On Bridges, Breaches, and Borders’

Date: 11-Oct-2013 - 12-Oct-2013
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact Person: Greg Przybyla
Meeting Email: ubromance at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jul-2013

Meeting Description:

‘Minding the Gap: On Bridges, Breaches, and Borders’
University at Buffalo 2013 Graduate Student Conference
Keynote speaker: TBA

In reference to the preamble of the Constitution of the United States, President Barack Obama proclaimed in his 2013 Inaugural Address that ‘[t]oday we continue a never-ending journey to bridge the meaning of those words (‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal’) with the realities of our time’. Meant to underline the necessity of establishing continuity between the ideals and dreams of the Founding Fathers with the reality that challenges us today, President Obama’s statement is one shared not only by the people of the United States, but by people and nations across the globe.

While President Obama’s statement stresses the importance of linking the thoughts and ideas of a not-so-distant past to the goals of the present, one must take into account other uses of the bridge, which has served as an increasingly useful and indispensable tool throughout history. From the defunct Bering Strait Land Bridge which served as an early migratory passage for both man and animal alike, to the World Wide Web, which seemingly connects all ends of the globe, the ubiquity of the bridge requires constant contemplation on our behalf so as to garner a more in-depth understanding of its nature.

Call for Papers:

What this conference proposes to analyze are the multifarious aspects of bridges: their uses in the real world; how literature and linguistics approach its various forms and functions; ‘the bridge’ as a structure as well as the cultural, political, physical, and/or linguistic ramifications produced by said constructs; as a connection of multiple entities. Could a possible disconnect occur as a result of this connector? What can be said of the ‘gap’ - the ‘third space’ - that the bridge bypasses, and what possibility does it offer us to redefine and reshape our own perspective? These are only a few of the questions we invite both Faculty and graduate students to reflect upon. Along with these ideas, we welcome abstracts dealing with, but not limited to:

- Transatlantic Crossing - Sharing
- Questions of Borders & Frontiers
- Gender
- Marginalization, Displacement and Migration
- Globalization
- Bridges as a Grand Narrative
- Languages in Contact
- Opening to Cultural Studies - Barriers and Spatial Relations
- Transnationalism
- Subterranean/Clandestine Bridges
- Bridges as Transitions/Transpositions
- The Imaginary and the Real
- Linguistic Bridging
- ‘Virtuality’ and the Internet

Submission Requirements:

Abstracts should range between 200-250 words, in English. Please specify the language in which you will present your paper, as well as your name, affiliation and email.

Submission deadline: July 1, 2013
Contact information: UBRomance at gmail.com

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/