24.1794, Qs: Binding Judgments Requested

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 23 14:27:10 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1794. Tue Apr 23 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1794, Qs: Binding Judgments Requested

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:27:07
From: Steven Franks [franks at indiana.edu]
Subject: Binding Judgments Requested

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1794.html&submissionid=11314659&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Presenting a textbook argument from English for intermediate movement to
speakers of Slovenian, Croatian, and Bulgarian, I recently encountered clear
objections that the data did not carry over to their languages. Something like
(1):

(1) Which picture of himself does John think that Mary prefers?

or intermediate (2):

(2) Which picture of himself does Mary think that John hopes that Sue will
prefer?

Moreover, even when the fronted wh-phrase is overt, as in (3), speakers did
not accept binding:

(3) John wonders which picture of himself Mary prefers.

I began to wonder whether this English phenomenon might be rare, an outlier.
What is going on, and what does the possibility of (1)-(3) correlate with.

If anyone knows of any comparative or typological work on this, I'd appreciate
the reference. Also, if you have native speaker judgments about this sort of
binding, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax