24.1806, Qs: Question about Assessment Tests for Linguistic Proficiency

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 24 14:00:00 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1806. Wed Apr 24 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1806, Qs: Question about Assessment Tests for Linguistic Proficiency

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:59:56
From: Bethany Dumas [dumasb at utk.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1806.html&submissionid=11314776&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Our Linguistics degree program at The University of Tennessee is an
interdepartmental program. Several required courses are cross-listed with
originating departments, though some originate with Linguistics. For instance,
all majors are required to take English/Linguistics 372, Structure of Modern
English, a course that originates with English.

It has recently come to my attention that instructors of such courses are not
always meeting expectations of our linguistics students; in particular, there
have been complaints about instructors “dumbing-down” course content or
teaching from a highly prescriptive point of view. I am currently drafting a
linguistics assessment test that would be appropriate for instructors to
administer on the first class day in order to see what students know about
linguistics and what their course expectations are. It occurs to me that such
tests exist, and I am interested in obtaining access to any that you might
know about/have drafted or used yourself.

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics