24.1828, Confs: Applied Linguistics/Japan

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 25 17:23:11 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1828. Thu Apr 25 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1828, Confs: Applied Linguistics/Japan

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna Belew <anna at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 13:22:38
From: Rudolf Reinelt [reinelt.rudolf.my at ehime-u.ac.jp]
Subject: JALT PanSIG2013

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1828.html&submissionid=11314857&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

JALT PanSIG2013

Date: 18-May-2013 - 19-May-2013
Location: Nanzan University, Nagoya, Japan
Contact: David Kluge
Contact Email: klugenanzan at gmail.com
Meeting URL: http://www.pansig.org/2013/JALTPanSIG2013/Welcome.html

>From Many, One: Collaboration, Cooperation, and Community

Welcome to PanSIG2013! This conference is a collaboration of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) within JALT (Japan Association for Language Teaching).  This year the following SIGs will be participating: Bilingualism (BILING), Business English (BE), College and University Educators (CUE), Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL), Critical Thinking (CT), Extensive Reading (ER), Framework and Language Portfolio (FLP), Gender Awareness in Language Education (GALE), Global Issues in Language Education (GILE), Japanese as a Second Language (JSL), Junior High & Senior High (JHSH), Learner Development (LD), Lifelong Learning (LLL), Literature in Language Teaching (LiLT), Materials Writers (MW), Other Language Educators (OLE), Professionalism, Administration and Leadership in Education (PALE), Pragmatics (PRAG), School Owners (SO), Speech, Drama & Debate (SDD), Task Based Language Learning (TBL), Teacher Education and Development (TED), Teachers Helping Teachers (THT), Teaching Children (TC), Testing & Evaluation (TEVAL), and Vocabulary (VOCAB).

The theme of the conference is 'From Many, One: Collaboration, Cooperation, and Community.' The theme emphasizes the variety and relationships of the SIGs that make up JALT, and that make up this conference. What kind of conference will you find when you enter the doors of R Building on the Nanzan University campus in Nagoya? It depends on how you see the JALT SIGs.

I have envisioned the SIGs within JALT as neighborhoods within a town. Each neighborhood has its own personality, and where the borders of neighborhoods meet there is a melding of the individual personalities. Think of this conference as being at the melding area of the many neighborhoods of JALT SIGs.

Cooperation and Collaboration are also parts of the theme of the conference.  SIGs have been asked to form SIG Partnerships with one or two SIGs. These SIG Partners will cooperate in creating a program hosted in their shared room.  Cooperation means they will work together in creating a program and sharing the space, but I hope they go beyond cooperation and collaborate with their partners, putting on presentations together, and putting on a joint forum.

I hope that the power of this metaphor of the shared neighborhood space melding different research interests can help further our understanding of this field we all work in.  The shared neighborhood space is my metaphor for the JALT SIG community created through cooperation and collaboration.  I am looking forward to hearing from the SIGs and from you about other metaphors--on how everyone views the community we are a part of. Enjoy this two-day stroll through the community that is JALT SIGs.