24.3279, FYI: Seeking Reviewers for ''The Speculative Grammarian''

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 16 00:17:11 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3279. Thu Aug 15 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3279, FYI: Seeking Reviewers for ''The Speculative Grammarian''

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Damir Cavar <damir at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:16:51
From: Trey Jones [trey at specgram.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3279.html&submissionid=18618848&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

NOW AVAILABLE: The Speculative Grammarian Essential Guide to Linguistics
Published by Speculative Grammarian Press, 339 + xiv pp.

Greetings, Linguists!

For decades, Speculative Grammarian has been the premier scholarly journal featuring research in the neglected field of satirical linguistics—and now it is available in book form!

We wish we were kidding, but no, seriously, we’ve published a large[1] collection of SpecGram articles, along with just enough new material to force obsessive collectors and fans to buy it, regardless of the cost.[2]

There is plenty of the usual high SpecGram quality inside this volume. There is considerable quality outside the book as well. The spine features the finest faux Corinthian and/or Venusian “leather” “finish”, making it suitable for placement alongside your finest volumes of literature, linguistics, or philology.[3] The cover features a potentially prizeworthy photo[4] that gives an intimate inside look at the life of a SpecGram editor while making you realize that your own hoarding problem isn’t really that bad.

All this can be had for only $12.99! Metric pricing in £ or € is available as well, and has been provided by the Metric Interns. Visit our online store and order your copy today![5]

		http://SpecGram.com/book

We are also looking for REVIEWERS![6] If you’d like to write an independent review of “The Speculative Grammarian Essential Guide to Linguistics” for publication on LINGUIST LIST, or if you have another high-profile outlet for such a review, have your people send my people an email and we’ll talk.

—Trey
---
Trey Jones
Managing Editor, Speculative Grammarian
SpecGram.com

_____
[1] Here “large” is pleasantly ambiguous, but whichever meaning you took it to have, you were likely correct. There are over 150 articles in the book, and they comprise 21 chapters and take up more than 300 pages. There is a Preface and an Introduction, two Appendices, and more End Notes than anyone other than the typesetter could count. The book itself is an enormous, luxurious, tenure-sized 8.5 x 11 inches (which the Metric Interns assure us is several meters in each dimension). It’s large enough to hold open most doors, and heavy enough to kill most insects.

[2] Despite this fact, we aren’t really charging very much for the thing. Keep reading.

[3] By agreement with our “faux” “leather” “finish” supplier, we are contractually obligated to request that you not place this book alongside the works of any anthropologist whose fame is less than the harmonic mean of that of Claude Lévi-Strauss and that of Claude Searsplainpockets.

[4] See footnote 2 on page xiv of the book itself for more details.

[5] Contents package by wit, not volume. Some settling may occur during shipping.

[6] Thanks to the LINGUIST LIST publications team for allowing us to publish this notice and solicit reviewers. What, were you expecting a joke here, too?

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/