24.3378, Qs: A question regarding my thesis proposal

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 27 18:27:41 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3378. Tue Aug 27 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3378, Qs: A question regarding my thesis proposal

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:27:27
From: Samet Deniz [samet_deniz_1990 at hotmail.com]
Subject: A question regarding my thesis proposal

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3378.html&submissionid=18827010&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello everybody!

I'm Samet Deniz from Turkey. I graduated from Middle East Technical University, Ankara and studied English language teaching there. Now I'm doing my Master's at Hacettepe University, Ankara on linguistics. I finished all my courses in my first year of Master's studies and now I have to give a proposal for my thesis. I have a rough outline in my mind and plan to write my Master's thesis on morphology with a psycholinguistic aspect mixed with bilingualism. What is on my mind is working on the Turkish plural morpheme -lAr. I'm planning to investigate it in its frozen form while it is used in cliches as unanalyzed fixed forms like ''İyi geceler! Tatlı rüyalar! Hayırlı işler!'' which mean ''Good night! Sweet dreams! Have a nice working day!'' The singular counterparts yield ungrammatical form in the sense that they can no longer convey the function of wishing. My plan is to compare native Turkish speakers with Turkish language learners with an eye tracker.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any relevant research or article yet. I guess there isn't any research including plural morpheme -lAr in its frozen form. I have two kind requests. Firstly, do you know any articles or books related to my study and secondly could you please recommend me what to do and how to do as I would like to learn from your experience and knowledge. If you have anything to say to change my proposal, please tell me.

Thank you so much for your responses in advance,

Best regards,

Samet

                     Discipline of Linguistics
                     Language Acquisition