24.3379, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Social Instinct

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 28 13:04:35 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3379. Wed Aug 28 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3379, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Social Instinct

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:04:21
From: Daphne Guericke [dguericke at appenbutlerhill.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Social Instinct, Telecommute, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3379.html&submissionid=18826969&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Social Instinct
Job Location: , USA (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.socialinstinct.com/
Job Title: Machine Learning / NLP Engineer
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

At Social Instinct, a division of Appen, we believe in the power of well informed, engaged and connected communities. We provide tools to create a better online user experiences through moderation and curating of content to make sure information is appropriate and relevant.

Appen Butler Hill (Appen) is a well-established global provider of linguistic services and tools. Operating in 120 languages in over 90 countries, Appen services a wide variety of clients from startups, large fortune 500 companies and governments.

We are looking for an experienced Machine Learning/NLP Engineer to help develop a moderation and curation solution using NLP, Machine Learning, and Text Mining in our small and passionate group. We are looking for candidates who share a passion for tackling complexity and making sense out of unstructured data. They should be creative, motivated and eager to take ownership of the problem, helping to take it from conception to completion and beyond. The position is for someone who is a self-starter, likes to work on all aspects of linguistic problems and has passion for creating innovative solutions. Great candidates will be able to wear multiple hats and help out in all areas required in a small startup.

What you will own, build and support:
-  Define, design and implement sophisticated text classifiers using NLP and Machine Learning
-  Measure and continuously improve the quality of the algorithms
-  Partner with the rest of the development team and in-house linguists on the overall system strategy, resources and feature prioritization
-  Work with Business Owner to create and design features
-  Research new technologies to be used in our platform development

Candidates must have:
-  Expert knowledge of Machine Learning, including decision trees, Naive Bayes' classifiers, and/or maximum entropy classifiers
-  Hands-on experience developing and implementing Machine Learning algorithms
-  Familiarity with existing tools such as NLTK, WEKA, LingPipe, scikit-learn etc.
-  Strong programming skills in Python, Ruby on Rails, Java, C/C++ or equivilent.
-  Experience with Agile Development methodologies
-  Strong problem solving abilities, passion for data, results oriented
-  Strong communication and collaboration skills
-  Desire and ability to learn new technologies and tools
-  Strong relational SQL database experience. Understanding how to extract large datasets using efficient queries
-  Working with very large datasets. Good understanding of performance issues relating to large complex / big data systems

Ideal candidate also has:
-  Familiarity with semantic technologies (RDF, OWL, FrameNet, WordNet)
-  Experience developing natural language processing systems or algorithms
-  Knowledge of other languages besides English
-  Background in Computational Linguistics

Web Address for Applications: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=4&rid=646
Contact Information:
	Daphne Guericke
	Email: dguericke at appenbutlerhill.com