24.4884, Summer Schools: XIV Universal Networking Language (UNL) School/ Patras, Greece
linguist at linguistlist.org
linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 2 19:16:20 UTC 2013
LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4884. Mon Dec 02 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
Subject: 24.4884, Summer Schools: XIV Universal Networking Language (UNL) School/ Patras, Greece
Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison
<reviews at linguistlist.org>
Do you want to donate to LINGUIST without spending an extra penny? Bookmark
the Amazon link for your country below; then use it whenever you buy from
For more information on the LINGUIST Amazon store please visit our
FAQ at http://linguistlist.org/amazon-faq.cfm.
Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar <gosia at linguistlist.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:06:55
From: Ronaldo Martins [r.martins at undlfoundation.org]
Subject: XIV Universal Networking Language (UNL) School/ Patras, Greece
E-mail this message to a friend:
XIV Universal Networking Language (UNL) School
Host Institution: UNDL Foundation
Coordinating Institution: UNDL Foundation
Dates: 10-Mar-2014 - 14-Mar-2014
Location: Patras, Greece
Focus: The UNDL Foundation and the University of Patras invite applications for the XIV UNL School, to take place at the University of Patras, in Patras, Greece, from March 10th to 14th, 2014. The workshop is dedicated to the development of the resources for the processing of the languages below. The UNDL Foundation will pay the travel and accommodation expenses for the selected candidates not living in the region of Patras.
Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate
In order to apply, external candidates must comply with ALL the following requisites:
- Candidates must be native speakers of any of the languages referred to above OR must have a university diploma in Latin or Ancient Greek.
- Candidates must have completed the certificates Certificate of Language Engineering Aptitude (CLEA750) and Certificate of Proficiency in UNL (CUP500). These certificates may be be pursued online at VALERIE - the Virtual Learning Environment for UNL, available at www.unlweb.net/valerie.
- Candidates must have a degree in linguistics, language studies, translation studies, computational linguistics or related field.
- Candidates must be residents in Europe or Middle East.
Previous experience in natural language processing, respectable academic records and previous experience in any of the existing projects within the UNLweb will also be valued, but are not mandatory.
The main goal of the XIV UNL School is to extend the number of languages participating in the UNL Program, by creating the corresponding basic dictionaries and corpora, as well as the morphological modules of the grammar
(inflectional paradigms and subcategorization frames).
The workshop is dedicated to the development of the resources for the following languages:
The workshop will take 30 hours, from March 10th to March 14th, 2014, according to the tentative schedule below:
- March 10th, Monday - Introduction to UNL
- March 11th, Tuesday - Grammar: inflectional paradigms
- March 12th, Wednesday - Grammar: subcategorization frames
- March 13th, Thursday - Dictionaries
- March 14th, Friday - Evaluation & Discussion
Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
Tuition: 0 USD
Tuition Explanation: The XIV UNL School is free of charge. The UNDL Foundation will pay the travel and accommodation expenses for the selected candidates not living in the region of Patras.
Financial Aid: Applications accepted until 12-Jan-2014
The UNDL Foundation will pay the following travel and accommodation expenses to the external candidates (i.e., not living in the region of Patras):
- a round-trip plane, bus or train ticket from/to Patras;
- 6 (six) nights at a budget hotel in Patras;
- 6 (six) per diem of USD50.00 (total of USD300.00), to cover any other expenses, including meals and transportation.
Registration: 26-Nov-2013 to 12-Jan-2014
Contact Person: Ronaldo Martins
Phone: +41 (0)22 879 80 90
Fax: +41 (0)22 879 80 91
Email: r.martins at undlfoundation.org
Apply on the web: http://www.unlweb.net
In order to apply, candidates must fill in the form available at www.unlweb.net/school/registration before the deadline.
LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4884
More information about the Linguist