24.4887, Jobs: Japanese; Comp Ling; Lexicography; NLP: Analytical Linguist, Google, Inc.
linguist at linguistlist.org
linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 3 13:55:19 UTC 2013
LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4887. Tue Dec 03 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
Subject: 24.4887, Jobs: Japanese; Comp Ling; Lexicography; NLP: Analytical Linguist, Google, Inc.
Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison
<reviews at linguistlist.org>
Do you want to donate to LINGUIST without spending an extra penny? Bookmark
the Amazon link for your country below; then use it whenever you buy from
For more information on the LINGUIST Amazon store please visit our
FAQ at http://linguistlist.org/amazon-faq.cfm.
Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:55:07
From: Linne Ha [AdvancedLinguistics at gmail.com]
Subject: Japanese; Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Natural Language Processing: Analytical Linguist, Google, Inc., Tokyo, Japan
E-mail this message to a friend:
University or Organization: Google, Inc.
Department: NLU-Machine Intelligence
Job Location: Tokyo, Japan
Job Title: Analytical Linguist for NLU in Machine Intelligence
Job Rank: Analytical Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics; Syntax; Natural Language Processing
Required Language(s): Japanese (jpn)
Understanding natural language is at the core of Google's technologies. The Natural Language Understanding (NLU) team in Google Research guides, builds, and innovates methodologies around semantic analysis and representation, syntactic parsing and realization, morphology and lexicon development. Our work directly impacts Conversational Search in Google Now, the Knowledge Graph, and Google Translate, as well as other Machine Intelligence research.
As an Analytical Linguist, you will collaborate with Researchers and Engineers in NLU/Machine Intelligence to achieve high quality data that improves our ability to understand and generate natural language systems. To this end, you will also be managing a team of junior linguists and vendors to derive linguistic databases as well as propose direction for approaches to language specific problems.
- Work closely with Researchers and Engineers by providing linguistic expertise and direction for language specific NLP projects
- Create annotation guidelines and instructions for vendors and junior linguists
- Recruit, hire and train linguistic experts for short term, high impact projects
- Manage and oversee a team of junior linguists, vendors and/or remote workers
- Design quality control methodology, experiments, implementation and improvements
- Train and evaluate NLP systems for small projects and propose solutions
- Analyze data pipeline and annotator workflow, scheduling to optimize productivity and quality control; establish and track key performance metrics across the team
- Monitor data acquisition and curation
- Ph.D in Linguistics, or Computational Linguistics, with experience in core areas such as semantics, syntax, morphology, and phonology, as well as applied areas in NLP and/or lexicography
- Native-level fluency in Japanese and professional-level fluency in English
- Experience collaborating internationally with multiple partners on long term and complex projects
- Experience managing people and developing projects or curricula from concept to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel internationally on a quarterly basis
- 2+ years experience in NLP research or related fields
- Familiarity with experimental design, research methodologies, qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Multilingual speaker with knowledge of semantics, syntax, grammar, morphology, and lexicon development for several language families
- Demonstrated operations and people management with experience in vendor management and remote people management
- Independent worker with the ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast paced, constantly evolving team environment. Team player with exceptional interpersonal and solution-oriented attitude.
- Creative thinker with strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency with scripting languages, web development, and working in a Linux environment
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and cover letter in English (PDF format preferred) with "Analytical Linguistic Project Manager [Japanese]" in the subject line to the application email address below.
Application Deadline: ASAP, open until filled
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: AdvancedLinguistics at gmail.com
Email: AdvancedLinguistics at gmail.com
LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4887
More information about the Linguist