24.677, Calls: Linguistics & Literature/UK

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 6 14:36:59 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-677. Wed Feb 06 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.677, Calls: Linguistics & Literature/UK

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:35:57
From: Jane Hodson [j.hodson at sheffield.ac.uk]
Subject: 2nd International Conference on Dialect and Literature

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-677.html&submissionid=7769837&topicid=3&msgnumber=1
 Full Title: 2nd International Conference on Dialect and Literature
Short Title: ICDAL

Date: 10-Jul-2013 - 12-Jul-2013
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Jane Hodson
Meeting Email: j.hodson at sheffield.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/english/school/2icdal

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 01-Mar-2013

Meeting Description:

This conference is being held to coincide with the forthcoming ‘South Yorkshire Voices’ exhibition at Sheffield University Western Bank Library. The conference will open on the evening of Wednesday 10 July with a public poetry reading and discussion by Ian McMillan, and will close on the evening of Friday 12 July with a poetry workshop led by Peter and Ann Sansom, directors of The Poetry Business, which publishes The North poetry magazine. Our plenary academic speaker will be Dr Mark Sebba, who has written widely on pidgin and creole languages, and on the sociolinguistics of orthography.

Call for Papers:

This conference invites papers that explore the representation of dialect in literary texts. We welcome papers from across different periods, different genres and different geographical locations. Questions that might be addressed include, but are not restricted to:

- How do readers respond to dialect representation?
- Can writers challenge the hierarchical relationship between ‘the standard language’ and ‘dialect’?
- Which critical theories and linguistic frameworks are appropriate for the interpretation of dialect in literary texts?
- What role does metalanguage play in the literary representation of dialect?
- To what extent and in what ways is ‘authenticity’ a useful concept?
- What different literary histories do dialects have?
- Which literary figures have been particularly influential in developing traditions of dialect representation?
- How important is genre in understanding dialect representation?

We welcome papers that deal with dialect in languages other than English, but would ask that all papers be presented in English.

Please submit abstracts of 250 words to j.hodson at sheffield.ac.uk by Friday 1 March 2013.