24.922, Qs: Native English Speaker Semantics Survey

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 21 14:37:00 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-922. Thu Feb 21 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.922, Qs: Native English Speaker Semantics Survey

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:36:41
From: Kota Nishiwaki [hot_corner_55 at hotmail.com]
Subject: Native English Speaker Semantics Survey

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-922.html&submissionid=8632916&topicid=8&msgnumber=1
 If you are a native speaker of English and feel something is strange about the
following sentences, please point it out. Any comments are welcome. Please
send your replies directly to my email,

hot_corner_55 at hotmail.com

Your responses will assist me in my research.

(1) Devour!

(2) Eat!

(3) Devour your hamburger.

(4) Don’t devour you hamburger.

(5) Don’t devour like that.

(6) [a part of Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe]
    Directions:
・With a whisk, mix milk and sugar together so that the sugar dissolves
completely.
・Add heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and peppermint extract and stir until
completely blended.
    ・Pour this mixture into your ice cream maker.
・Churn in ice cream maker about 20-25 minutes or according to
manufacturer's instructions.
    ・Add crushed hard peppermint candy to churning mixture.
    ・Churn for an additional 5 minutes.
・Transfer peppermint ice cream to storage container and mix in chocolate
sticks, if desired.
    ・Enjoy! Just don't devour too quickly like my family and I did!

(7) He is a big eater. Whatever you might feed him, he devours in a few
minutes.

(8) a. The lion killed its prey and devoured.
    b. The lion killed its prey and devoured it.
    c. The lion killed and devoured its prey.

(9) a. The children greedily devoured.
    b. The children greedily devoured it.

(10) [a part of Cinnamon Rolls Recipe]
     ・・・
Just a word of caution about the frosting: Do NOT devour before pouring
over the rolls.  You can scrape the bowl, but the frosting is supposed to go
ON the cinnamon rolls. Not straight into your mouth.

(11) [printed on the package of frosting]
     DO NOT DEVOUR!

(12) [script from a movie]
     [watches James gulp down a strawberry]
Samantha Booke:    James, this is high tea, all right? We nibble, we do
not DEVOUR.
     James L. Farmer Jr.:  How do you know?
     Samantha Booke:    [smiling] I don't.

Could you tell me the following information? Of course, the information will
be used only for my academic research.

1. age
2. where you are from
3. sex