24.952, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher/Scientist, Xerox Research Centre Europe

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 22 17:07:41 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-952. Fri Feb 22 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.952, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher/Scientist, Xerox Research Centre Europe

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:07:09
From: James Henderson [james.henderson at xrce.xerox.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Researcher/Scientist, Xerox Research Centre Europe, Meylan, Isere (Rhone Alpes), France

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-952.html&submissionid=8632986&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Xerox Research Centre Europe
Job Location: Meylan, Isere (Rhone Alpes), France
Web Address: http://www.xrce.xerox.com
Job Rank: Researcher; Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

The Parsing & Semantics research area at Xerox Research Centre Europe (XRCE)
is currently looking for an experienced researcher in statistical natural
language processing (NLP), with a deep understanding of machine learning
and/or information extraction (e.g. event extraction).

The ideal candidate would also have experience or knowledge of textual
entailment, knowledge representation, and combining machine learning with
expert knowledge.  The applicant should have good coding skills (e.g. Java
programming), with the ability to develop research prototypes and pilots.

The successful candidate will be expected to identify challenging problems,
develop new solutions, and work with business and development teams to ensure
that these solutions have a significant impact. We work together with top
academic partners and expect our researchers to publish results in top-tier
conferences and journals. We also have multiple open innovation collaborations
with academic partners world-wide.

The Parsing & Semantics group concentrates on automatically making sense of
electronic documents using semantic analysis. The group focuses on natural
language processing methods for robust parsing, semantic analysis, and
information discovery, including the role of context in determining meaning.
We are particularly interested in theoretical models of communication,
language, computation, learning and inference which take into account the
context in which these activities occur. The Parsing & Semantics group
collaborates closely with the Machine Learning for Services group and the
Machine Learning for Document Access and Translation group. We are also
interested in applying research results to practical applications and
real-world problems.  Our general application focus is on converting
unstructured text into structured information. The solutions we develop are
expected to play a key role in Xerox’ next generation document and business
process outsourcing services in domains such as customer care, healthcare, and
financial services.

XRCE is located in Grenoble, France, in the heart of the French Alps.
Grenoble offers an excellent quality of life and a large scientific community.
For more information, please see http://www.xrce.xerox.com/.

Requirements:
-  PhD in Computer Science or Computational Linguistics;
-  NLP knowledge and experience;
-  Knowledge or experience in machine learning or information extraction;
-  Object oriented programming skills (e.g. java);
-  Strong written and oral communications skills in English.

Informal inquiries can be made to James.Henderson at xrce.xerox.com or
Tonya.Love at xerox.com.

To submit an application, please send your CV and cover letter to both
xrce-candidates at xrce.xerox.com and to Tonya.Love at xerox.com. You should also
include in your CV at least three referees we can contact for letters of
recommendation.

Application Deadline:

Email Address for Applications: xrce-candidates at xrce.xerox.com
Contact Information: