24.146, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 10 16:19:26 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-146. Thu Jan 10 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.146, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:18:09
From: Diane Brentari [dbrentari at uchicago.edu]
Subject: Inaugural Conference//Center for Gesture, Sign and Language, University of Chicago

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-146.html&submissionid=6517209&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Inaugural Conference//Center for Gesture, Sign and Language, University of Chicago

Date: 08-Mar-2013 - 09-Mar-2013
Location: Chicago, USA
Contact: Laura Tharsen
Contact Email: ltharsen at uchicago.edu
Meeting URL: http://gslcenter.sites.uchicago.edu

We are launching a Center for Gesture, Sign, and Language at the University of Chicago to bring together research in these three areas. We will hold a conference on campus (March 8-9, 2013) to inaugurate the Center and to honor of David McNeill, who has been centrally involved in making the study of gesture the vibrant field that it is today.

There is no registration fee, and ASL-English interpretation will be available for all activities of the conference. We ask that you please register at our conference website (above) to insure that our spaces will be appropriate for the size of the audience. The website also contains helpful information including a detailed program and lodging suggestions.

Five presentations will take place over the course of two days (March 8-9) -- 2 from the sign language research area and 3 from the area of gesture. Two commentators from the University of Chicago will respond to each speaker. The invited speakers are as follows.

March 8: Daniel Casasanto, David Kirsh, and a performance by 'Flying Words' (Peter Cook and Kenny Lerner)

March 9: John Haviland, Diane Lillo-Martin, and Ted Supalla.

If you have any questions, please contact Laura Tharsen (ltharsen at uchicago.edu), who is assisting us with the arrangements. Or you can contact Susan Goldin-Meadow (sgm at uchicago.edu), Diane Brentari (dbrentari at uchicago.edu), or Anastasia Giannakidou (giannaki at uchicago.edu), the three Co-directors of the new Center.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/