24.242, Confs: Discipline of Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 14 18:12:43 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-242. Mon Jan 14 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.242, Confs: Discipline of Linguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:11:37
From: Stefan Th. Gries [stgries at gmail.com]
Subject: Statistics for Linguistics with R

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-242.html&submissionid=6714381&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Statistics for Linguistics with R

Date: 08-Aug-2013 - 13-Aug-2013
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Contact: Ute Römer
Contact Email: uroemer at gsu.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries/teaching/bootcamps/bootcamps2013.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics

Meeting Description:

The statistics bootcamp is a 30-hours hands-on introduction to statistical methods for both graduate students and seasoned researchers. Note: this statistics bootcamp can be taken together with the bootcamp 'Corpus linguistics with R', which takes place one week before this bootcamp. Using the open source software and programming language R, we will

- briefly recap basic aspects of statistical evaluation as well as several descriptive statistics;
- discuss monofactorial statistical tests for frequencies, means, dispersions, correlations;
- explore different kinds of multifactorial and multivariate methods, in particular different kinds of regression approaches as well as hierarchical cluster analysis.

For all statistical methods to be explored, we will discuss how to test their assumptions and visualize their results with nice and annotated statistical graphs, and sometimes we will reanalyze published data from corpus-linguistic studies. The participants will also get small functions they can use for their own statistical applications. Also, there will be a small section on how to write small statistical/visualization functions yourself. The content of this statistics bootcamp is based on the upcoming second edition of Gries (2009d) to be published in May 2013.