24.333, Calls: Language Acquisition/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 19 19:47:19 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-333. Sat Jan 19 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.333, Calls: Language Acquisition/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:45:48
From: Laura Catharine Smith [laurasmith at byu.edu]
Subject: Second Language Research Forum 2013

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-333.html&submissionid=7109261&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Second Language Research Forum 2013
Short Title: SLRF 2013

Date: 31-Oct-2013 - 02-Nov-2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Contact Person: Kyle Vanderniet, Candice Snow
Meeting Email: slrf.2013 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://ce.byu.edu/cw/slrf/

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Call Deadline: 01-May-2013

Meeting Description:

Second Language Research Forum 2013
‘The Natural Phenomenon of SLA: Complexity, Context and Communication’
October 31-November 2, 2013

Hosted by: Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah)

We are proud to welcome the 2013 Second Language Research Forum to Utah, a state well known for its natural, diverse and complex landscape. We feel that it is a perfect fit when discussing the complexity, context, and communication within SLA.

Second language (L2) acquisition has been called a ‘natural’ phenomenon, but is it natural socially, biologically or cognitively? Recent research suggests that language is a 'complex adaptive system' involving cognitive, social and innate mechanisms, which all interact, adapt, and develop in complex ways (Ellis and Larsen-Freeman, 2009). Whether or not researchers adhere to this notion, there is little dispute that language is complex and affected by the context in which it occurs and the communication of ideas between people. Thus, this conference welcomes research that investigates the complexity of L2 acquisition, the contexts in which it is learned, and the communication it creates.

Call for Papers:

Paper, poster and colloquia abstract submission deadline: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 (11:59 pm Mountain Daylight Time)
Paper, poster and colloquia notification of acceptance: Monday, July 15, 2013

The organizers of the 2013 Second Language Research Forum (SLRF) invite proposals for papers, posters and thematic colloquia (consisting of 3-4 papers each) for the conference.

To embody the conference theme, ‘The Natural Phenomena of SLA: Complexity, Context and Communication,’ we are soliciting proposals from various disciplines, including those that have traditionally been associated with SLA research, as well as those that are new to SLA research or that have been underrepresented at previous SLA conferences.

We welcome proposals from all areas of second language research, including (but not limited to) the following:

- Formal Approaches to SLA
- Functional Approaches to SLA
- Cognitive Approaches to SLA
- Technology and SLA
- Classroom Research
- L2 Assessment
- Psycholinguistic Approaches to SLA
- Neurocognitive Approaches to SLA
- Bilingualism
- Corpus Approaches to SLA
- Socio-Cultural Approaches to SLA / Pragmatics
- Context of Learning / Study Abroad
- Heritage Language Learning / Language Maintenance

Comprehensive research syntheses, preferably in the form of a meta-analysis, are also welcomed.

Guidelines for Paper and Poster Submissions:

Proposals for paper and poster presentations should consist of a title, an abstract, and a short summary. Titles should be no longer than 15 words. Abstracts are limited to 350 words in length, and summaries are limited to 50 words. Individual papers will be 30 minutes: 20 minutes for the presentation and 10 minutes for questions and answers. Posters should measure no more than 3ft by 4ft (90cm x 120cm). Poster presenters should plan to present and discuss their work for at least one hour during their assigned poster session.

Guidelines for Colloquia Submissions:

Proposals for colloquia will also be submitted online. A brief overview of the theme should be outlined followed by a short abstract including title of each paper to be presented as part of the colloquium. Colloquia will be 90-120 minutes, in other words will include 3-4 papers. These should be submitted in one single document and names of the presenters should also be excluded to enable double-blind review. Names of the organizer and presenters should then be included in the submission process as if they are co-authors.

Submission Policy - Number of Submissions per Person:

An author may submit a maximum of one proposal as first author, but may also be a colloquium organizer, discussant, or co-author/co-presenter of a maximum of two additional papers or posters.

Submission Instructions:

Starting Monday, February 11, 2013, proposals will be accepted online. Only online submissions will be accepted. To make a submission, please visit the conference website at http://ce.byu.edu/cw/slrf/. Click on ‘Submissions,’ and you will be taken to our submission web site. Proposals will be selected based on the results of double-blind peer review. All submissions must be completely anonymous.

Questions:

Please direct any questions to the SLRF 2013 organizing committee at slrf.2013 at gmail.com. We also invite you to view our website (http://ce.byu.edu/cw/slrf/) and to visit us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/slrf2013) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/SLRF2013).