24.411, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Semantics/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 23 16:37:21 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-411. Wed Jan 23 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.411, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Semantics/Germany

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:36:04
From: Katrin Erk [katrin.erk at mail.utexas.edu]
Subject: 10th International Conference on Computational Semantics

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-411.html&submissionid=7307033&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

10th International Conference on Computational Semantics
Short Title: IWCS

Date: 20-Mar-2013 - 22-Mar-2013
Location: Potsdam, Germany
Contact: Katrin Erk
Contact Email: katrin.erk at mail.utexas.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/iwcs2013/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Semantics

Meeting Description:

10th International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS)
University of Potsdam, Germany
March 20-22, 2013
http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/iwcs2013/

The aim of the IWCS conference is to bring together researchers interested in the computation, annotation, extraction, and representation of meaning in natural language, whether this is from a lexical or structural semantic perspective. IWCS embraces both symbolic and statistical approaches to computational semantics, and everything in between.

Invited Speakers:

Kevin Knight (Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California)
Manfred Pinkal (Department of Computational Linguistics & Phonetics, Saarland University)

Tenth International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS)
University of Potsdam, Germany
March 19-22, 2013

http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/iwcs2013/

We invite registrations for the Tenth International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS), which will take place on March 19-22, 2013 at the University of Potsdam, Germany.

IWCS is the biannual conference of the ACL Special Interest Group on Computational Semantics (SIGSEM). The aim of the IWCS conference is to bring together researchers interested in the computation, annotation, extraction, and representation of meaning in natural language, whether this is from a lexical or structural semantic perspective. IWCS embraces both symbolic and statistical approaches to computational semantics, and everything in between.

Program:

The main conference will take place on March 20-22.  We have selected a very strong program of 25 long papers (presented as talks) and 16 short papers (presented as posters plus lightning talks).  The list of accepted papers can be found on the conference website,

http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/iwcs2013/accepted.html

In addition, the conference features two invited talks.  Our invited speakers are:

Kevin Knight, USC / Information Sciences Institute

Manfred Pinkal, Saarland University

Open Space Afternoon:

We have set aside one afternoon during the conference for an Open Space workshop (aka ''unconference'').  This afternoon will consist of numerous small-scale discussion sessions on issues in computational semantics, organized by the participants themselves.  In our earlier experiences with the Open Space format, we have found that it can lead to very intense and interesting discussions, and we want to try it out on a larger scale.  More information on Open Space in general can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Space_Technology and

http://www.openspaceworld.com/users_guide.htm

Workshops:

Five workshops will be colocated with IWCS 2013.  These workshops will take place on March 19, 2013, immediately before the main conference. You can register for participation in a workshop directly from the main IWCS registration form.

ISA-9 Joint ACL-ISO Workshop on Interoperable Semantic Annotation
http://sigsem.uvt.nl/isa9/

Annotation of Modal Meanings in Natural Language (WAMM)
https://sites.google.com/a/georgetown.edu/iwcs-2013-wamm/

Computational Semantics in Clinical Text (CSCT 2013)
https://sites.google.com/site/csct2013/

Towards a formal distributional semantics
http://clic.cimec.unitn.it/roberto/IWCS-TFDS2013/

Computational Models of Spatial Language Interpretation and Generation (CoSLI-3)
http://www.cosli.org/

Local Information:

IWCS 2013 will take place on the University of Potsdam's Griebnitzsee campus.  Potsdam is the historic residence of the Prussian kings and German emperors, and large parts of the city center are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Potsdam is also part of the Berlin-Brandenburg metropolitan area.  It is well connected by air (via the Berlin-Tegel and Berlin-Schoenefeld airports) and train to many destinations in Europe and worldwide.

Registration for the main conference and the workshops is now open at http://www.ling.uni-potsdam.de/iwcs2013.  Early registration is EUR 240 for regular attendance and EUR 140 for students.  Registration for the workshop day is an extra EUR 40.  This includes lunches and the conference dinner, which will take place in one of Potsdam's more intimate palaces (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornstedt_Crown_Estate).

Contact:

Conference chairs:

Katrin Erk, University of Texas at Austin
Alexander Koller, University of Potsdam

You can reach the organizers by sending email to:

iwcs2013 at googlemail.com