24.468, Confs: Pragmatics/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 25 18:36:50 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-468. Fri Jan 25 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.468, Confs: Pragmatics/Germany

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:35:30
From: Stefaniya Ptashnyk [stefaniya.ptashnyk at adw.uni-heidelberg.de]
Subject: Linguistische Zugänge zu Konflikten in europäischen Sprachräumen

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-468.html&submissionid=7373146&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Linguistische Zugänge zu Konflikten in europäischen Sprachräumen

Date: 18-Mar-2013 - 23-Mar-2013
Location: Heidleberg, Germany
Contact: Janine Luth
Contact Email: luth at ezs-online.de

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Meeting Description:

The European Center for Linguistics (EZS), a co-operation between the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg and the Institute for German Language in Mannheim (IDS), is advertising 45 places for participants at the Winter School “Linguistic approaches to conflicts in European language areas.  Corpus - pragmatics – controversial”.  The Winter School, which is kindly supported by Volkswagen Foundation, is taking place at the German Department of the University of Heidelberg from the 18 to 23 March 2013. The participants will be dealing with the general topic of 'conflict linguistics' in workshops and presentations by renowned referents like Guus Extra, Johannes Schwitalla, Hans Goebl and Arnulf Deppermann amongst others.

Conflicts and their resolution are inherent in our daily life and our increasingly interconnected existence. From the day-to-day controversies to the intricate processes of the European Union, we struggle to resolve our differences. Language is intimately involved in all conflicts and their resolutions. Most conflicts arise and are communicated via language.  Likewise, language is the medium par excellence to arrive at their most elegant solutions. Thus, we valiantly strive 'to find the right word' or 'to use the correct language'. Indeed, we observe that, 'it´s not just what is said, but how it is communicated'. Our facility in utilizing language to penetrate social-cultural barriers reflects our progress as a species, and underlies any legitimate claim a society has to true knowledge and power. To understand and to resolve our conflicts, we need to know and to promulgate the rules and routines of linguistic communication. As linguists, we have much to contribute to the analysis and resolution of modern day conflicts on both 'basic' and 'applied' levels. With our social-symbolic models, we have the tools that can describe the communicative assumptions that are at the core of a controversy, and then to guide further analyses. Thereafter, our strategies to resolve current differences and to avoid future ones flow directly from our linguistic models.

Das Europäische Zentrum für Sprachwissenschaften (EZS), eine Kooperation zwischen der Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg und dem Institut für Deutsche Sprache in Mannheim, schreibt 45 Plätze zur Teilnahme an der Winterschule „Linguistische Zugänge zu Konflikten in europäischen Sprachräumen. Korpus - Pragmatik – kontrovers’aus. Die Winterschule findet vom 18. bis zum 23. März 2013 im Germanistischen Seminar der Universität Heidelberg statt. In Workshops und Vorträgen, die von renommierten Referentinnen und Referenten (u. a. Guus Extra, Johannes Schwitalla, Hans Goebl, Sylvia Kalina und Arnulf Deppermann) geleitet werden, setzen sich die Teilnehmerinnen und Teilnehmer mit dem Rahmenthema „Konfliktlinguistik' auseinander.

Requirements for participants and application:

The request for applications is directed at young academics in linguistics within all philologies preferably working on a research project that is related to the general topic of the Winter School.

In order to apply we kindly ask you to send us the following data electronically:

- A short CV (in table form)
- An abstract about the current research project (about 1000 characters)
- A motivational statement

Please send these documents via email to the administration office (luth at ezs-online.de).  Your application should reach us by the 15 February 2013 at the latest. The participants will be selected by the Winter School’s hosts and initiators Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Ludwig M. Eichinger (IDS Mannheim), Prof. Dr. Ekkehard Felder (University of Heidelberg), Prof. Dr. Jörg Riecke (University of Heidelberg) and Junior Prof. Dr. Friedemann Vogel (Freiburg/Breisgau).

You may also apply for a scholarship (a max. of € 200). In order to do so please include a short statement giving reasons (e.g. raising a child during your PhD, low income) in your application.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to send us an email (luth at ezs-online.de) or phone us (0049 - 6221 - 54 3241).

Programme und methods:

The talks and workshops are held over several days and will cover the theoretical basics and methods for a linguistic analysis of different settings (from a conversation to transnational discourses). The focus is on the current discussion about the divergence and the complementarity of the different methodological approaches within linguistics: qualitative analysis of conversations and texts as well as quantitative corpus analysis with regard to the central levels of the language system.

On the afternoon of day 1 (18 March 2013) the participants will present their current research projects in a poster session and in the evening the Winter School opens officially with the presentation “Responding to increasing linguistic diversity in multicultural Europe” by Prof. Guus Extra in a festive atmosphere. On Tuesday (19 March 2013) several presentations will introduce the participants to the general topic, which will be discussed in more detail on days 3-5 (20 to 22 March 2013) in workshops. On day 5 (22 March 2013) the results of the workshops will be presented and evaluated. The Winter School will end on the morning of the 23 March 2013.

The complete programme as well as the abstracts of each presentation and workshop can be found on the homepage:

www.winterschule2013.ezs-online.de

Programm

18.03.2013
Begrüßung
13.00 Uhr
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Ludwig M. Eichinger (Direktor des Instituts für Deutsche Sprache, Mannheim)
Prof. Dr. Ekkehard Felder (Germanistisches Seminar, Univ. Heidelberg)
Prof. Dr. Jörg Riecke (Germanistisches Seminar, Univ. Heidelberg)
Eröffnungsvortrag

18.00 Uhr
„Responding to increasing linguistic diversity in multicultural Europe”:
Prof. Dr. Guus Extra (Tilburg, Niederlande)

19.03.2013
Vorträge
Vortrag 9.00--10.30 Uhr „Jemanden missachten und miteinander streiten - und was die Linguistik dazu zu sagen hat”: Prof. Dr. Johannes Schwitalla (Würzburg)

Vortrag 11.00--12.30 Uhr „Historische Konfliktlinguistik”: Prof. Dr. Hans Goebl (Salzburg)

Vortrag 14.00--15.30 Uhr „Translation and interpreting in European conflict settings”: Prof. Dr. Sylvia Kalina (Köln)

Vortrag 16.00--17.30 Uhr „Konflikt und Verständigungsprobleme in den Schlichtungsgesprächen zu Stuttgart 21”: Prof. Dr. Arnulf Deppermann (Mannheim)

Vortrag 18.30--20.00 Uhr „Sprachliche Konfliktdynamik in der Internetkommunikation”: Jun.-Prof. Dr. Friedemann Vogel (Freiburg)

Methodenworkshops vom 20.03. bis zum 22.03.2013

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Gesprächslinguistische Zugänge zu Konflikten”: Prof. Dr. Inken Keim (Mannheim)/Prof. Dr. Reinhard Fiehler (Mannheim)/Dr. Marcus Müller (Heidelberg)

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Qualitative Text- und Diskurslinguistik”: Prof. Dr. Wolf-Andreas Liebert (Koblenz)

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Quantitative und qualitative Korpuslinguistik”: Rainer Perkuhn (Mannheim)/Cyril Belica (Mannheim)

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Gesprächslinguistische Zugänge zu Konflikten”: Prof. Dr. Inken Keim (Mannheim)/Prof. Dr. Reinhard Fiehler (Mannheim)/Dr. Marcus Müller (Heidelberg)

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Qualitative Text- und Diskurslinguistik”: Prof. Dr. Wolf-Andreas Liebert (Koblenz)

Workshop 9.00--10.30 Uhr; 11.00--12.30 Uhr
„Quantitative und qualitative Korpuslinguistik”: Rainer Perkuhn (Mannheim)/Cyril Belica (Mannheim)

20.03.2013
Pragmatik und Korpuslinguistik
Workshop 14.00--16.30 Uhr „Konfliktdiskurse”: Dr. Constanze Spieß (Münster)
Workshop 14.00--16.30 Uhr „Verhandeln im Extrembereich. Authentische Geiselnahme-Kommunikation und Angewandte Gesprächsforschung”: Prof. Dr. Michael Klemm (Koblenz)
Workshop 17.00--19.30 Uhr „Konfliktualität messen? Konflikte in korpuslinguistischer Perspektive”: Prof. Dr. Joachim Scharloth (Dresden)
Workshop 17.00--19.30 Uhr „Keywords in conflict”: Prof. Dr. Beatrix Busse (Heidelberg)

21.03.2013
Lexik und Grammatik
Vortrag 14.00--16.30 Uhr „Konfliktvokabular historisch betrachtet”: Dr. Stefaniya Ptashnyk (Heidelberg)
Workshop 14.00--16.30 Uhr „Sprache und Gewalt”: Prof. Dr. Anja Lobenstein-Reichmann (Göttingen/Heidelberg/Prag)
Workshop 14.00--16.30 Uhr „Konfliktsprache um 1800: Semantische Kämpfe zwischen Klassik und Romantik”: Prof. Dr. Jochen A. Bär (Vechta)
Workshop 17.00--19.00 Uhr „Kleine Wörter, große Wirkung: Modalpartikeln im Streit”: Dr. Gabriela Kendeffy (Heidelberg)
Workshop 17.00--19.00 Uhr „Konnektoren als Indikatoren diskursiver Kontroversen”
Katharina Jacob/Anna Mattfeldt (Heidelberg)

Podiumsdiskussion 20.00 Uhr „Qualität oder Quantität? - Konflikte in der Linguistik”:
Prof. Dr. Martin Becker (Köln)
Prof. Dr. Marianne Hundt (Zürich)
Prof. Dr. Angelika Linke (Zürich)
Prof. Dr. Oskar Reichmann (Heidelberg)
Moderation: Prof. Dr. Ekkehard Felder (Heidelberg)