24.495, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 28 18:56:34 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-495. Mon Jan 28 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.495, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:55:04
From: Anne Whiteside [awhitesi at ccsf.edu]
Subject: LESLLA 2013 Symposium: Expanding Emergent Literacy Practices

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-495.html&submissionid=7571216&topicid=3&msgnumber=1
 Full Title: LESLLA 2013 Symposium: Expanding Emergent Literacy Practices
Short Title: LESLLA

Date: 07-Aug-2013 - 09-Aug-2013
Location: San Francisco, California, USA
Contact Person: Anne Whiteside
Meeting Email: leslla2013 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://leslla2013.wordpress.com/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Call Deadline: 18-Mar-2013

Meeting Description:

The 9th annual conference of LESLLA (Low Educated Second Language and Literacy Acquisition for Adults), an international forum of researchers who share an interest in research into the development of second language skills by adult immigrants and refugees with little or no schooling in the home country, low levels of literacy in the native language, and limited proficiency in the language of the new country.

Call for Papers:

LESLLA welcomes presentation proposals for the 9th annual conference to be held in San Francisco, California, USA, August 7-9, 2013. The theme of the 2013 conference - Expanding Emergent Literacy Practices (http://leslla2013.wordpress.com/) - aims to embrace multiple but complementary perspectives on the learning experiences and needs of LESLLA learners, including well-established psycholinguistic views as well as less-established socio-cultural views on the enterprise of learning to read, write, and speak a second language for beginning-level learners, and those with limited schooling.

We seek proposals that reflect diverse perspectives - both cognitivist and social perspectives - on language and literacy development for LESLLA learners. We also invite the participation of adult literacy researchers, practitioners, and applied linguists committed to the advancement of LESLLA research, practice, and policy. Presentations will include a mix of theoretical and practice-based themes, as well as panel discussions and poster sessions.

Suggested topics may include but are not limited to:

- Research on literacy skills and practices
- Second language acquisition
- Instructional methods, techniques, and strategies
- Materials development
- Assessing progress and outcomes
- Literacy in the native language
- Youth literacy and SIFEs
- Health literacy
- Out-of-school literacy practices
- Critical literacy
- New technologies and literacy
- Orthographies and transfer
- Teacher professionalization
- Pre-service/in-service professional development - resources and strategies
- Policy issues (e.g., immigration trends)
- Impact of budget constraints on LESLLA practice
- Resettlement and integration

Please note that only presentations directly related to LESLLA learners will be considered. More information regarding submission guidelines can be found on our website. For more information about LESLLA, see http://www.leslla.org.