24.510, Calls: German, Historical Linguistics, Typology/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 29 16:18:30 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-510. Tue Jan 29 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.510, Calls: German, Historical Linguistics, Typology/Germany

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:17:55
From: Gisella Ferraresi [gisella.ferraresi at uni-bamberg.de]
Subject: Historical Syntax of German - Typological Perspectives

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-510.html&submissionid=7571256&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Historical Syntax of German - Typological Perspectives

Date: 17-May-2013 - 18-May-2013
Location: Bamberg, Germany
Contact Person: Gisella Ferraresi, Patrizia Noel
Meeting Email: historical_syntax at gmx.net
Web Site: http://germanhistoricalsyntax2013.de

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Typology

Subject Language(s): German (deu)

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2013

Meeting Description:

The syntax of German is not simply a continuation of Proto-Indo-European syntax; it rather emerged with features characteristically different from Proto-Indo-European. Among its many characteristics is the specific development of the complementizer system (Axel 2009) as well as radical changes of word order (Vennemann 2003), but also the maintenance of the Germanic reflexive pronouns (Harbert 2007). This workshop aims at identifying, categorizing and modelling peculiarities of historical German syntax and integrating the results into current typological research. One possible method is the genetical comparison of a small enough fragment of syntax in the sense of Longobardi (2003). We will also focus on theories on the status of syntactic deviances from Proto-Indo-European, such as the emergence of the unmarked, syntactic word order. In particular, we want to discuss the following questions:

- Which characteristics of historical German syntax are language-specific, which are universally preferred?
- Which aspects of historical German syntax result from language contact? Which methods are applied in order to make language contact plausible as an influencing factor?
- How is the emergence of periphrastic constructions correlated to other typological features? Should this be considered as a morphological or a syntactical innovation?
- Can we describe syntactic change as monodimensional, or do we have to include subsystem interactions (Noel 2008)?

Moreover, we want to discuss the findings in the light of the recent discussion on syntactic reconstruction (Ferraresi/Goldbach 2008). In particular, we want to deal with the question of what it is we reconstruct in syntactic reconstruction: sentence structure, phonological realizations, or constructions (Eythórsson / Barðdal 2005).

Literature:

Axel, Katrin (2009) Die Entstehung des dass-Satzes - ein neues Szenario. In: Koordination und Subordination im Deutschen, Veronika Ehrich, Chirstian Fortmann, Ingo Reich, Marga Reis (eds.) Linguistische Berichte Sonderheft 16. Hamburg: Buske, 21-41.

Eythórsson, Thórhallur / Jóhanna Barðdal (2005) Oblique Subjects: A Common Germanic Inheritance. Language 81(4): 824-881.

Ferraresi, Gisella / Maria Goldbach (2008) (eds.), Principles of Syntactic Reconstruction. Amsterdam/Philadelphai: John Benjamins Publishing.

Longobardi, Giuseppe (2003) Methods in Parametric Linguistics and Cognitive History. Linguistic Variation Yearbook 3, 101-138.

Wayne, Harbert (2007) The Germanic Languages. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Noel, Patrizia (2008) Jespersen’s Cycle and the issue of prosodic ‘weakness’. In: Artemis Alexiadou, Jorge Hankamer, Thomas McFadden, Justin Nuger, Florian Schäfer (eds.), Advances in Comparative Germanic Syntax. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 197-218.

Vennemann, Theo (2003) Syntax und Sprachkontakt: Mit besonderer Berücksichtigung der indogermanischen Sprachen des Nordwestens. In: Alfred Bammesberger and Theo Vennemann (eds.), Languages in prehistoric Europe. Heidelberg: Winter, 333-364.

Plenary Speakers:

Giuseppe Longobardi (University of Trieste / University of York)
Theo Vennemann (University of Munich)

Conference fee: 50 EUR

Organizing committee: Gisella Ferraresi / Patrizia Noel

Contact: historical_syntax at gmx.net

2nd Call for Papers:

Abstracts are invited for a 30-minute presentation followed by a 10-minute discussion. One-page anonymous abstracts (including references and examples) in both .doc and .pdf formats (Times New Roman, 12p) should be sent to: historical_syntax at gmx.net.

Key Dates:

Submission deadline: 15 February 2013
Notification of acceptance: 1 March 2013
Registration deadline: 30 April 2013

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/