24.2785, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Morphology/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 9 20:14:23 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2785. Tue Jul 09 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2785, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Morphology/Germany

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 16:13:28
From: Michael Piotrowski [piotrowski at ieg-mainz.de]
Subject: 3rd International Workshop on Systems and Frameworks for Computational Morphology

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2785.html&submissionid=17514226&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

3rd International Workshop on Systems and Frameworks for Computational Morphology
Short Title: SFCM 2013

Date: 06-Sep-2013 - 06-Sep-2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact: Cerstin Mahlow
Contact Email: info at sfcm.eu
Meeting URL: http://sfcm.eu/sfcm2013

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Morphology

Meeting Description:

3rd International Workshop on Systems and Frameworks for Computational Morphology (SFCM 2013)
http://sfcm.eu/sfcm2013/
Workshop date: September 6, 2013
Location: Humboldt-Universität, Campus Mitte, Dorotheenstraße 24‎, 10117 Berlin, Germany

The Workshop on Systems and Frameworks for Computational Morphology (SFCM) aims to bring together researchers and developers in the area of computational morphology. The focus of SFCM is actual, working systems and frameworks based on linguistic principles and providing linguistically motivated analyses and/or generation on the basis of linguistic categories.

In 2013, SFCM will take place for the third time. This edition of the workshop will focus on the role of morphological analysis and generation to improve the rather disappointing situation with respect to language technology for languages other than English. We aim to encourage discussion among researchers and developers and to provide an up-to-date overview of available systems and frameworks for computational morphology.

>From the point of view of computational linguistics, morphological resources form the basis for all higher-level applications. This is especially true for languages with a rich morphology like German, Finnish, or Polish. A morphology component should thus be capable of analyzing single word forms as well as whole corpora. For many practical applications, not only morphological analysis, but also generation is required, i.e., the production of surfaces corresponding to specific categories.

Apart from uses in computational linguistics, there are numerous practical applications that can benefit from morphological analysis and/or generation or even require it, for example in text processing, user interfaces, or information retrieval. These applications have specific requirements for morphological components, including requirements from software engineering, such as programming interfaces or robustness.

We are in the process of arranging the publication of the proceedings with Springer-Verlag in their CCIS series (as for the previous two editions of SFCM).

The workshop has three main goals:

- To stimulate discussion among researchers and developers and to offer an up-to-date overview of available morphological systems for specific purposes
- To stimulate discussion among developers of general frameworks that can be used to implement morphological components for several languages
- To discuss aspects of evaluation of morphology systems and possible future competitions or tasks

SFCM is an activity of the SIG Generation and Parsing of the German Society for Computational Linguistics and Language Technology (GSCL).

You are cordially invited to attend SFCM 2011, listen to the talks, watch the demos, and participate in the discussions - and join us for a nice dinner after the workshop.

Please register online at http://sfcm.eu/sfcm2013/ before July 19, 2013.

Detailed Program:

08:00
Registration

08:45
Opening

09:00
Invited Talk
Georg Rehm
The State of Computational Morphology for Europe’s Languages and the META-NET Strategic Research Agenda

10:10
Session 1 (1 talk)

Alicia González Martínez, Susana López Hervás, Doaa Samy, Carlos G. Arques and Antonio Moreno Sandoval
Jabalín: A Comprehensive Computational Model of Modern Standard Arabic Verbal Morphology Based on Traditional Arabic Prosody

10:40
Break

11:10
Session 2 (3 talks)

Krister Lindén, Erik Axelson, Sam Hardwick, Tommi Pirinen and Miikka Silfverberg
HFST - A System for Creating NLP Tools

Michael Maxwell
A System for Archivable Grammar Documentation

Simon Clematide
A Case Study in Tagging Case in German: An Assessment of Statistical Approaches

12:50
Lunch

14:00
Session 3 (3 talks)

Benoît Sagot and Géraldine Walther
Implementing a Formal Model of Inflectional Morphology

Fiammetta Namer
A Rule-based Morphosemantic Parser for French for a Fine-grained Semantic Annotation of Texts

Kyoko Sugisaki and Stefan Höfler
Verbal Morphosyntactic Disambiguation through Topological Field Recognition in German-Language Law Texts

15:40
Break

16:00
Demo Session

17:30
Discussion and Closing

19:30
Dinner at a nearby restaurant (to be paid for individually)