24.2886, Qs: Seek Introductory Stylistics Textbook

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 15 18:01:03 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2886. Mon Jul 15 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2886, Qs: Seek Introductory Stylistics Textbook

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:59:49
From: Johanna Rubba [jrubba at calpoly.edu]
Subject: Seek Introductory Stylistics Textbook

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2886.html&submissionid=17514542&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello, all,

I'm teaching a stylistics course in the Fall and am looking for a current
textbook. I have used Mick Short's Exploring the Language of Poems, Plays
and Prose with great success in the past, but it's 1996, and I don't think
a 2nd edition has been put out.

This class is for English majors who have had one ten-week course
introduction to linguistics, which, as you can imagine, doesn't go deeply
into anything, and most of the students have little interest in the
material, so it's doubtful they retain much. So the text would have to be
basic, while at the same time illuminating. Short is excellent in this
regard, but it would be nice to find a more-recent book. I am also looking for
wide coverage of genres, without limitation to a specific theory (e.g.,
cognitive stylistics).

Please post suggestions directly to me and I will post a summary to the list.

Thanks!

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
Tel. 805.756.2184
Dept. Tel 805.756.2596