24.2911, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics/Poland

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 17 15:42:12 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2911. Wed Jul 17 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2911, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics/Poland

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:41:40
From: Svetlana Kurtes [s.kurtes at googlemail.com]
Subject: (Beyond) Europe: Identity in Text, Context and Interaction

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2911.html&submissionid=17789874&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: (Beyond) Europe: Identity in Text, Context and Interaction
Short Title: ENIEDA Panel

Date: 15-Nov-2013 - 16-Nov-2013
Location: Bydgoszcz, Poland
Contact Person: Svetlana Kurtes
Meeting Email: conferences at enieda.eu
Web Site: http://www.enieda.eu/

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 25-Jul-2013

Meeting Description:

The European Network for Intercultural Education Activities (ENIEDA) is convening a panel at the forthcoming International Symposium 'Discursive Constructions of Europe', Faculty of Economy, Bydgoszcz, Poland, 15-16 November 2013. The proposed panel is entitled '(Beyond) Europe: Text, Context and Interaction'.

The Bygdoszcz Symposium aims to explore the current conceptualizations of Europe and Europeanness and their expressions in a variety of discourses in/of/about Europe: national vs. international, institutionalized, media, as well as local/individual discourses of citizens. For more details about the event please check the conference website: http://dceconference.byd.pl.

The idea behind the ENIEDA panel, however, is to bring together various perspectives on how European and other identities are constructed, negotiated, mediated, challenged and (finally) established across texts, genres and public spaces.

Call for Papers:

We would like to examine various dimensions of identity (European or otherwise) and its discursive manifestations and look at their social semiotics and cultural embeddedness. We are interested in how political reality, including various nationalism-related tensions, and socioeconomic changes, impact on 'identity work' and 'identity politics'. There is undoubtedly an interpersonal and institutional dimension to that. Hence, our analysis will encompass both discourse of everyday interactions and mass-mediated communication, both cultural artifacts and social constructs. Finally, it is our intention to look at the role of education in promoting intercultural dialogue and multicultural literacy, and to identify and assess roles played by traditional and social media in identity formation, negotiation and mediation.

Within this general thematic cluster we welcome contributions utilising any theoretical framework and/or methodological approach and encourage exploratory dialogue(s) across and beyond disciplinary boundaries and geographic and geo-political borders. Contribution proposals should be up to 300 words long and sent to the panel organisers at: conferences at enieda.eu not later than 25 July 2013. The working language of the panel is English. Further details about the panel can be obtained from the panel organisers at conferences at enieda.eu.